iii. conversation enthusiast

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆      LILAC EVANS

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ LILAC EVANS

      "WHERE ARE YOU HEADED?"
Spencer asked me, shoving his hands in his coat pockets. The two of us were standing outside the campus now, and I shivered slightly, realizing how cold it was tonight.

I jerked my head down the road. "I live in Harbin Hall."

"I don't know where that is." He said with a blank face, blinking.

"A few blocks away." I said. "You can go home, it's not too far." It was kind of a lie. It was about a twenty minute walk, but I didn't want to force the man to stay any longer with me than he had to. I had walked home by myself on multiple occasions.

"No..." Spencer mumbled casually, shaking his head and already walking in that direction. My eyebrows shot up with surprise and I caught up with the man, a smile plastered on my face.

"Can't get enough of me, huh?" I asked teasingly, watching a small laugh escape his lips.

"I suppose." He muttered with a small smirk. "It's literally 3am though, I'd be an idiot to let you walk alone."

"Does being an FBI agent make you paranoid about those things? Like being alone at night?" I asked him.

"Not really, because I know I can probably handle it. It's others I'm worried about. The world's a messed up place, and evil kinda lurks everywhere, so..." Spencer shrugged, and again, I heard the sadness lingering in his voice. He seemed so...depressed and negative.

"I don't think I could ever do what you do. I...like seeing the world as a good place." I mumbled sheepishly. "And having to see all the bad stuff working just diminishes all of that."

"Yeah. Sometimes I wish it was different." He chuckled gloomily. I pursed my lips together, silence taking over. I felt bad for this man, truly. I was always good at reading people's emotions, and I was sure Doctor Reid had some trauma in his backstory that was affecting his life right now.

After a few moments, I spoke again. "You have to surround yourself with the things you enjoy. What...do you do aside from work?"

"Teach." Spencer answered unemotionally. "Read."

"Not surprised..." I chuckled. "Just do what makes you happy, Dr. Reid."

"You can, uh, call me Spencer." He chuckled, glancing at me. I nodded, pursing my lips together. "Dr. Reid makes me feel old." Spencer smirked a little at me, and I chuckled.