Awkward Moments and Free Falls

Song: Good Life - One Republic

13 – Lillith

When I wake up, Obi is sitting in the windowsill staring out at the grounds. I mumble a greeting and he jumps slightly before looking at me, then quickly looks away as his face starts to turn red. I arch a brow but not awake enough to care yet. Suppressing a yawn, I get to my feet and go into the adjoining bathroom to take a quick bath. We should have enough time to get something to eat quickly before finding our positions before the meeting.

I return to the room a short time later, dressed in a black tunic and black leggings. I comb my fingers through my hair and as I start to pull it back from my face Obi notices something.

"Your hair is curly."

"I- uh, yeah... I typically straighten it by combing it in front of the fireplace so it dries straight. When it's wet or I don't bother to do it, it curls."

"It- it looks nice."

"Alright Obi, you're acting weird. What's going on?"

"Nothing."

"Oh no." I sigh as I run a hand down my face. "You didn't fall in love with me, did you?"

"No, of course not."

"Then what is it?"

"I-I fell asleep beside you last night."

I try and fail to hold back a laugh. "I'm sorry, but why is that so bad?"

"I woke up holding you."

My eyes widen slightly and I nod and clear my throat before pulling on my boots.

"Ah, well, um, are you ready to go? We might have time to get something to eat if we hurry along."

He gets to his feet and as I go to follow him out, he stops and frowns as he looks down at me.

"What is it?"

"He bruised you." He mumbles as his fingers gently brush my neck.

My eyes move between Obi, Prince Zen, and Prince Covan as they talk in the throne room. I'd expected them to meet in Prince Covan's office, but I understand the formality of the situation. They do not trust us enough to allow us in a room that contains information on their kingdom. I'm nestled in the rafters of the room, hidden in the shadow of a beam. Obi has planted himself to Master's left behind a column. Mitsuhide and Kiki have flanked his sides so he's readily protected. All I've seen so far of Prince Covan's forces is Deilan sporting the black eye I gave him and two other men standing on either side of the prince. So far from what I can hear from my perch it seems to be going well despite the issue we had with Deilan last night. I still have my bow drawn and an arrow ready to notch within a second though I hope it doesn't come to that. When I asked Prince Zen why we didn't have an alliance with them before, he said that he'd attempted many times over the years but their personalities clashed to the point they could never make an agreement. I don't know how he thinks it'll work now though. Perhaps he should have asked Prince Izana to go in his stead.

I tense as the room falls silent and I move my gaze back to the group down below. Obi is still hidden but Deilan is gone. Kiki and Mitsuhide have stepped closer to Prince Zen and the men have moved closer to their master. Things definitely aren't going well. I pull an arrow from the quiver on my back but as I notch it just in case, a pair of arms circles my body, trapping my arms and sending the arrow flying downward. Thankfully it misses everyone but it sends the room into a panic as I struggle against the grip.

"Let me go you creep!" I growl as I bring the heel of my boot back into their shin.

They release me but shove me in the process and I feel my feet slip off the beam. I'm at least two stories up from the floor itself. If I can't catch myself, I'm going to die. I drop my bow immediately and my fingers dig into the wood. I catch the beam enough with the hand that was originally empty, but the other slips off. I glare up at the man that attacked me and scowl as I realize it's Deilan. Of course it's Deilan, who else would it be? I can hear sounds of fighting below but I dare not look down. My hand starts to slip and I let out a quiet, steady stream of curses as I scramble for stability.

"Lillith!"

"I'm a little busy here Obi!" I call out, not sure where he is, but Deilan has started to walk on the beam toward my fingers.

He lifts his foot and a sadistic grin crosses his face as he brings it down toward my fingers. As he stomps on my fingers, I notice a metallic flicker in the air before a dagger sinks into his chest. He falls from the beam as I finally lose my grip.

I'm falling. Falling to my death and there's nothing I can do about it. I want to scream but I can't get anything to come out. I don't even think I'm breathing anymore. I'm just waiting for impact. I wonder if I'll even feel it or if I'm suddenly gone. I shut my eyes and a second later I feel myself land in someone's arms and a moment later we both hit the floor hard. Not as hard as my original free fall would have been but it still hurts. At least I know I'm not dead. I slowly open my eyes and realize I'm in Obi's arms with him curled around me tightly to absorb the impact.

"Obi?"

"I think you fell for me, Lillith. Does that mean I won the bet?" He asks with a crooked grin.