Gutting Fish and New Coats

Song: Hey, Asshole - Watsky ft. Kate Nash
A/N: Prince Covan pictured above

29 – Lillith

The fighting hasn't stopped. The fire hasn't stopped. The death and destruction haven't stopped. My thoughts haven't stopped. The burning pain in my shoulder hasn't stopped. When wars are talked about, they're dark for sure, but nothing prepares you for the real thing. This world hasn't seen a war in over twenty-five years, yet here we are in the midst of one. Shenazard Castle has stood tall for hundreds of years but now it's burning and crumbling. All I can smell is blood and smoke. The usual sounds of the birds and laughter have been replaced by squealing metal and screams. Our lives are forever changed by this whether we survive or not. One kingdom, possibly two are going to lose their leaders, new regimes will fall in place. Allegiances will be changed or met with death. The survivors will have to live with the memories and whatever injuries they may face. We're all losing loved ones, whether blood or otherwise. I've lost one good friend to my knowledge and after this my arm may never be the same, but so far I'm one of the lucky ones. I haven't lost near what others have.

I unwillingly find my eyes tracking Obi as he makes his way through the grounds. It's strange, knowing that he was an assassin before coming to work at the castle but it's another to see how effortlessly he cuts people down without blinking. I was trained to kill before I could fully walk and my training for the Points further enhanced my ability but I could never do it so easily and gracefully like he does. I could never kill in such close combat either... I'm only useful from a distance. I let out a soft sigh as I cut down yet another man approaching Obi from behind. He's made himself a rather well-known target.

My eyes widen as I notice someone moving across the grounds from near the gate, their sword cutting through anyone that comes near without judgment. I reach back for another arrow but find none. Even after digging through supply crates around my post I've come up empty. I let out a stream of curses as I look up to find the man steadily progressing, heading toward Obi. The hood falls on his cloak and I curse again. It's Prince Covan. I didn't expect to see him on the front lines, let alone killing people just as easily as Obi. He's even been taking out his own people. I can't let him get near Obi. I don't doubt Obi's abilities, but he's probably exhausted and is focused on too much at once. I'm definitely not going to be the best fighter ever and I'm probably going to die but I'm not going to let Obi die. I'm still upset about the whole Naela thing since the first time I held feelings for him she was in the way and she did it again, but I think I love him, as annoying as he is. I haven't told him that though. He said he loves me... I didn't get to tell him that I love him too. He always seems to catch me off guard.

I rush down the steps through the wall and onto the grounds. I stop by a body and apologize quietly as I take the sword from their hands. I've hardly ever fought with a sword but desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose. Thanks to Covan's war-path, I don't have to worry about anyone approaching me as I close the distance between us. In the time it took me to get down to the grounds, Covan made it to Obi and they've been fighting ever since. He's been holding his own against him but it seems they're pretty evenly matched.

"Get out of my way." I growl as a man cuts in front of me before I can reach them.

"What's a cute little girly like you going to do?" He laughs. "Let's have some fun instead."

"How about I gut you like a fish and wear your flesh like a new coat?"

I bring the sword up and stab him in the stomach before twisting the blade and yanking it out.

"Thanks for playing, Darling." I grin before turning back toward Covan and Obi.

As I approach them, I do my best to stay quiet and unseen by Covan as they fight. I'm surprised that Obi's been able to hold his own with just daggers since Covan has a sword. His golden eyes flick over to me for just a split second before returning to Covan. I need to help him, I can see how he's trembling from the effort but they're moving so quickly I'm not sure I can kill Covan without either of us dying. If I don't kill him then he could hurt Obi or turn on me and we'd both end up dead. Covan lunges at Obi and my eyes widen as he barely escapes the full force of the slice, only earning a tear in the fabric of his shirt and a slight scratch across his torso. I can't just stand here like an idiot doubting myself. I have to do it now. If I die, I die. Covan swings at Obi and my eyes widen as the sword runs through Obi's stomach. No...

I feel a scream leave my lips as I lift the sword and stab Covan. I twist the blade and pull it out. I'll make him regret hurting Obi even if it kills me. I swing at him again as he turns and our swords clash loudly. All I want to do is rush to Obi's side and make sure he's okay but I can't even get myself to look at him right now. Covan has to die first. Covan's bleeding heavily, I'm relatively uninjured, maybe I'll have the upper-hand. I duck his blade and bring my sword up, stabbing him again, then force it upward until it catches on his ribcage. If I die now, at least I know he'll die too. The war is going to end now because of this. Covan smirks as he looks down at me, blood trailing from his mouth.

"You think... you won?" He chuckles as he wheezes. "Your lover... that filth... is going to die. I-I'm going to... let you watch each other die."

His sword plunges into my stomach before I can react then he kicks me away from him as he pulls it out, then his body hits the ground nearby.

"O-Obi, are you alive?" I ask as I try to convince my body to move, to make it to him, but I can't seem to do anything. It hurts too much.

"Y-Yeah. I-I'm okay. P-please don't die... I love you."

"O-Obi, if any-anything happens to us... I-I want you to know that I love you too."

I finally get my hand to move though its trembling and I reach out toward Obi. A small smile crosses my face as I feel his hand grab mine. If we die, we'll die together I guess, but we did it.