Ch. 29

Logan wasn't sure he liked love.

Roman had always said love was a beautiful thing that should be enjoyed, but he once again found himself disagreeing with him.

From Logan's experience, love was terrifying.

Logan spent every day in fear of making a mistake. One slip up, and Patton would lash out at him. He never thought he would label the shorter side as scary. Perhaps naive or maybe even adorable, but never scary.

But after discovering some of Patton's more...violent tendencies, he found that "scary" was the perfect word to describe him.

Logan never took Roman for the type to enjoy this type of thing. The constant terror clawing at one's throat and making it impossible to breathe.

Then again, Roman has always been braver than Logan. Perhaps Logan didn't have enough courage to enjoy love.

He figured he should suck it up and live with it. He didn't understand what made love so enjoyable, but he had the faintest idea.

Like the few times Patton cuddled with him. Or the way Patton would always take the time to make Logan a cup of coffee every morning.

Alas, Logan felt that the bad outweighed the good.

There were two conclusions he had discovered.

One, love was a terrible thing. He shouldn't have listened to Roman.

Or two, whatever he and Patton had wasn't love at all.

The second one caused a rush of fear to overwhelm him. If this wasn't love, then what was it?

Logan had searched countless books to find the answer to this question. Finally, he found something that was very similar to his situation.

Except they didn't label it as "love".

They labelled it as "Domestic Violence".

Logan figured there had to be a mistake. Patton wasn't abusive, was he? Patton just got angry sometimes, and Logan could get used to that.

"You okay, Lo?" He heard, breaking him out of his stupor. Virgil was looking at him in mild concern.

"I'm just thinking about Roman." Logan lied. "Maybe one of us should go check on him."

"Yeah..." Virgil mumbled. "...hey, Logan?"

"Yes, Virgil?"

"Do you think we're being unreasonable?" Virgil asked, looking around to make sure Patton wasn't listening. "Like, maybe we shouldn't have jumped to conclusions? Because I always jump to conclusions, and I know that it's gotten me in so much trouble, what if--"

"I don't know, Virgil." Logan replied. "I feel like we should've taken Remus' word for it. I've felt like that the whole time."

"Then why didn't you say so when it was all going down?" Virgil asked. "I only went with it because you seemed convinced, and you've never steered me wrong before!"

Logan winced. He knew that wasn't true. A perfect example is when he made Virgil force Deceit back to the dark side of the mind palace, just so he could please Patton.

What was Logan supposed to say? That he didn't speak up because he was so desperate for the love of Patton? That he was so easily manipulated that--

Manipulated?

No, Patton wasn't manipulating him. Patton wasn't capable of doing that, was he? He was too naive to do anything like that. Logan was just being paranoid.