Lucille

Presley

If you haven't met my family, they're freaking crazy. I'm not talking a little crazy. I'm telling you they're insane. I came home from the station to yelling. Pat was standing there. Don't ask me why? Because I don't have a clue.

"What's with the yelling?" I asked Pat.

"Remember the snafu at the ice cream parlor?" Pat asked me.

"Do you mean where everyone threw ice cream at each other? Vaguely," I answered with a look.

Pat rolled his eyes. "Well, Pax pissed Parker off when he shoved ice cream down Parker's pants. Parker got even with shaving Pax's head," Pat told me, making me do a double-take.

"That's not funny, Park!" Pax yelled.

"Well, you shouldn't have shoved ice cream down my pants, you twit!" Park yelled back.

Pat and I stood there, watching Park and Pax argue coming down the stairs. Pax had a shaved head.

"You can wash off ice cream. It will take weeks for my hair to grow back," Pax exclaimed.

"You needed a haircut," Park mentioned, pissing off Pax.

"Unbelievable! I get to donkey punch you in the nuts!" Pax barked.

Pat and I covered our manhood.

"Do it, and I'll rip off your nuts. Shaun won't worry if you feel like a nut because you won't have any," Park threatened Pax.

I shifted in my spot. Park and Pax noticed I was home.

"What happened at work?" Park asked me.

"Well, I still have my job," I mentioned.

"That is a good thing," Parker said.

"And cousin Caleb is my boss," I added. That surprised my brothers. "He asked me if Nana still had a mean left hook."

My brothers looked at each other with confusion.

"The Chief is on leave, and they fired Martinez," I told them.

"Well, that's a good thing, isn't it?" Pat asked me.

"Yeah, but we have to redo our certifications. Most of them expired," I answered.

"It's better to be safe than sorry," Parker reasoned.

"Oh, and I found out Eliza disobeyed orders getting two firefighters killed along with herself, trying to save me," I said, stunning my brothers.

"Where did you find this out?" Parker asked.

"It's in the fire report that I went on this past summer. Caleb read it to me," I replied.

"Damn, that's harsh," Pax mentioned.

"I don't get it. Why would a person you love risk their and other's lives? I know Eliza had issues, but why?" I asked.

"Maybe there was more to it than anyone knew. I mean, do we know anyone? No one knew I had severe anxiety," Pax answered.

We looked at Pax with concern.

"Think about it. People create more significant issues when there's a chemical imbalance," Pax explained.

"Whatever the case, I don't want to think about it anymore. I'm going to lie down," I said, going upstairs.

Parker and Pax went back to bickering while Pat played referee. I needed a nap. When I got to my room, I changed my uniform and put on sweats and a tee-shirt. I laid down and was out.