It's beginning to look lot likes Christmas

Presley

School ended for Christmas break, and Caleb gave me and Kaylee time off from work. That wasn't bad. The terrible part was everyone fighting about stopping for food and bathroom breaks. My brothers and I argued over where to eat and when to stop. It was typical of us. We were worse when we were kids, driving our parents up the wall. No wonder Pops was happy to get rid of us when we graduated high school.

After those shenanigans, we made it home. I didn't care because I wanted my bed. We got back, and I walked over to the couch, collapsing on it, falling asleep.

"Well, hi to you too, Presley," Pops mentioned as I snoozed. Did I forget to tell everyone that I got off working a late shift at the station and didn't get any sleep?

Everyone laughed.

"Presley came back from working last night, and we hit the road as soon as he walked through the door," Parker mentioned.

"Okay, everyone, take your stuff to your rooms, and I'll take Presley's stuff to his. Your ma will help Shaun, Britt, and Kaylee get settled," Pops told the others while I slept.

I don't know how long I slept, but I felt someone touch my head, waking me. I opened my eyes to see Nana smiling at me. I opened my eyes and sat up as she sat down next to me.

"Hey, Nana," I greeted her, rubbing my eyes.

"Hey, sleepyhead," Nana teased.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"They went to see Pat, and Lex told us you were sleeping because of working," Nana answered.

"Yeah, working the late shift sucks, but Caleb gave us time off," I replied.

Nana smiled. "It seems things are better with you than they were," she said.

"It was rough," I mentioned.

"Yeah, I heard," Nana told me.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked Nana.

"Sure," Nana answered.

"Did you ever lose anyone you loved?" I questioned.

"Yep," she said.

I looked at her curiously.

"I lost Grammy Gray and Grayson," Nana added.

"Can I tell you something, and you won't think I'm weird?" I asked.

"Sure," Nana answered.

"Mostly when I sleep, I see Grammy Gray," I mentioned. Nana looked at me, not surprised. "You don't seem surprised."

"I'm not at all. I know sometimes dreams tell us things that we don't understand while awake. When I lost my memories, I didn't remember your grandpa and our relationship. My dreams brought me back to him because my heart led the way. Grammy Gray loved the family, and she threatened to haunt the family," Nana joked, making me chuckle.

"I thought I was crazy," I said, looking at Nana.

"You're not crazy. Grief overwhelms us. It takes over and feels like we're drowning. It's the same way with love," Nana reasoned.

I thought about what she said. The front door opened, and Ma came in, carrying bags. We got up and helped her.

"Did you buy out the store?" Nana asked Ma.

"Almost, Lex is behind me," Ma said as Pops came in carrying several bags.

"Thanks for the help, Piper," Pops mentioned.