Halloween festival

Presley

Since Kaylee and I had the night off from work and testing, we went to the Halloween festival. I missed celebrating Halloween the past few years because of studying to become a paramedic.

As kids, our parents took us trick or treating, haunted housing, and anything Halloween related. They also celebrated the other holidays. It had been a while since I relaxed and enjoyed myself.

The past several months dealt with grief. Grief changes you, and the last thing you want is anything enjoyable. Jordan told me it would take time. Nik said the same thing.

You spend so much time suffocating that you don't worry about having fun. Then each day gets a little easier. You take minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day. That's all you can do.

"Presley," Parker said, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Are you okay?" Park asked, making sure I wasn't wallowing.

"Yeah, I'm good," I answered.

"Then let's have some fun, little brother," Payton said, grabbing my shoulders, making me chuckle.

My brothers and I walked around the festival, seeing the rides, hayride, corn maze, concession stands, and a haunted house.

"Let's hit some rides, then we can go to the haunted house," Pat mentioned.

"Sounds like a plan," Payton agreed.

We walked to a ticket booth, paid for some tickets, and then waited in line at the Ferris wheel. While we waited, the girls crashed our brother's time along with our cousins and their dates. I stood there like a dope watching everyone talk.

The line moved as I moved with it and got to the operator. I handed him my ticket and climbed into a seat alone, while everyone else sat with someone. Yeah, I felt like a king-size dope.

Other people took their seats as I waited for the ride to start.

"We need one more person!" The operator yelled, pointing at the empty seat next to me.

Great, nothing like looking like a loser on a ride.

"Here," someone said, handing a ticket to the guy and making their way over to my seat.

I watched Kaylee sit down next to me as the guy moved the bar down in place, clicking it shut.

"It looks like it's you and me, Gray," Kaylee mentioned, smiling cheekily.

"Yeah, I guess it is," I replied as the ride started moving.

"What no date?" Kaylee asked me.

"Well, I thought tonight I was hanging with my brothers, then their girlfriends and boyfriend crashed our brother's time. My cousins and their dates crashed too, making me feel like a big loser," I mentioned.

Kaylee looked at me, trying not to laugh.

"Don't feel bad, I came with Nora and Drake," Kaylee told me.

"How did that work out for you?" I asked.

"Well, Drake is trying to be affectionate, and Nora is dodging it," Kaylee joked.

I chuckled. "Nora is in denial. She thinks if she dates, then she can avoid the possibility of something with my cousin," I reasoned.

"How do you deny feelings for someone?" Kaylee questioned.

"Dodging the issue," I answered, making Kaylee laugh.

"Well, if you don't mind, we can partner up. It would be like it is at work," Kaylee suggested.