Returning to school

Presley

After spending the holidays with our family, we returned to school and work. Caleb put us on shifts that didn't interfere with school. Plus, we came back to a surprise when we walked into the station.

Kaylee and I walked in to see everyone standing around.

"Did Caleb mention a meeting?" Kaylee asked me.

"Not that I know of," I answered. We walked over to Lindsey and Cass. "What's going on, guys?"

"The Captain wants to talk to everyone," Lindsey replied.

"Cap mentioned something about Martinez," Cass added.

Kaylee and I looked at each other with confusion.

The office door opened, and Caleb emerged. He came out to greet everyone.

"Listen up; we have a situation with a former employee of the station. It seems Martinez sued for wrongful termination and assault," Caleb informed everyone, surprising us.

"On what grounds?" Hathaway questioned.

"Racial discrimination," Caleb answered, surprising us.

"Is that fool for real?" Hathaway asked with annoyance.

"Unfortunately," Cass mumbled.

"That makes little sense. The guy had many complaints regarding his behavior," Kaylee mentioned.

"It doesn't matter. The station's attorneys are handling the lawsuit. They're advising me to inform everyone that if anyone attempts to speak to you, you say nothing. Do not talk to anyone regarding this matter," Caleb told us before dismissing everyone. "Gray, I need to see you in my office."

The others looked at me as I sighed. I followed Caleb into the office. He closed the door, and I sat down on a chair as he sat at his desk.

"Part of the lawsuit identifies you and Parker," Caleb told me.

"For what?" I asked incredulously.

"Assault," Caleb answers.

"Martinez started it," I replied.

"It doesn't matter. You struck Martinez first," Caleb told me.

I looked at Caleb and furrowed my brows.

"Presley, it's not high school here. When you hit someone on the job, it leads to legal issues. I have to put you on leave until the situation resolves. The same thing happens with Parker," Caleb informed me.

"Caleb, our dad is going to flip when he finds out," I told Caleb.

"I'm sorry, Presley. It ties my hands. Unless we find proof that Martinez isn't squeaky clean, I don't have a choice," Caleb told me.

"No, I get it. It's another thing to add to a shitty year," I said, shaking my head.

I got up and left the office as the others met me.

"What did the Cap want?" Cass asked me.

"He put me on leave," I answered.

"What? Why?" Kaylee asked.

"Because I'm part of the lawsuit along with Parker for assaulting Martinez," I answered.

Hathaway, Cass, and Lindsey looked at me with confusion.

"My dad is going to flip when he finds out," I added, sighing.

"None of this makes any sense," Hathaway said, shaking her head.