Time paradox (10th Doctor)

A/N: For this story you'll have to choose your preferred pronouns :)

***

The TARDIS landed with some difficulty. After some shakes and engine noises, the Doctor ran across the console room only to wide open both of the doors.

“Here we are, Y/N! As you wished!” he says in joyfully while he turns his back to look at me “Paris, 2090!”

But when he turned back again to face the outside of the TARDIS, the time travel machine made a huge noise, as if she was not happy being here, as if she was scared.

The TARDIS was drifting so hard I couldn’t help but fall on my knees because I lost my balance. I raised my head to look at the Doctor, to ask him what was happening. But then I saw it. I saw me.

I was in front of the Doctor, who has not moved an inch. I guessed the expression on his face: incomprehension.

But the me in front of the TARDIS’ doors tilted *her/his/their* head to look at me.

My ears were suddenly buzzing really hard. The TARDIS’ lights turned red, and she kept making loud engine noises. But the buzzing was so loud, I couldn’t hear anything else. All this sound, it was so loud it became painful and I started to scream. My bones were aching, I felt like they were shrinking in my body, and then growing up again.

All this pain and this incomprehension put me in foetal position. I didn’t what was happening. Why was I here? I tried to open my eyes to see what the Doctor was doing, but he wasn’t here anymore. The doors were closed. The TARDIS was still panicking, the red lights starting to flash and the machine still vibrating very hard.

What felt like hours passed. The Doctor came back in the TARDIS, and I could see through my blurred vision that he was sweating, and I could see he was also panting. He ran towards me, he said something I couldn’t hear since my ears were still buzzing, but I nodded anyway.

He runs back to the console and start to push some buttons and levers. The TARDIS was still making an angry or panicking noise, and the Doctor was being in difficulty to make her fly. She wouldn’t take off. The buzzing in my ear was still loud but I could hear through it the loud noises the TARDIS was still making. Her lights were still red, maybe brighter than earlier.

I wasn’t sure, but I think the Doctor was panicking. He was flicking some switches, but he looked like he wasn’t sure of what he was doing. Sometimes, I could see his head turning back at me, maybe with concern, just to check on me. I had some difficulty to breathe and still lying on the ground, as if some invisible force was pushing me down.

What the other me told him? Is it because of it that he’s in this state right now?

After some moments of the Doctor pressing buttons and pushing levers, the TARDIS decided to finally fly away, but still making some loud and worrying noises. The buzzing in my ears stopped and I finally could get up. The Doctor ran to me to help me stand. The TARDIS seemed to calm herself down too.

“Why was I here?! What happened?” I said anxiously.

“Time paradox. Apparently in 2090 you’re still here in your actual appearance. I talked a bit to the other you but I had to make it quick before this world would destroy itself because of the paradox.”

“What would’ve happened if you stayed?”

“The sky would fall first. And then the world and this timeline would retract on itself, until it would fully disappear. I only stayed for 2 or 3 minutes, so I think this world didn’t had any damage, but the TARDIS wasn’t very happy about this time paradox…”

“Why was I here?” I repeat my question, calmly. But the Doctor just went away, without looking at me.

“Doctor, please. I’m worried.”

“Can’t tell you. Sorry, Y/N. It’s part of your future.”

He went back on the console, flicking some switches and just doing his stuff. I knew I couldn’t know anymore from the Doctor. It’s like he locked himself down. He wouldn’t tell me because something would happen to me in the future, and apparently, it’s near.

I went to go to my room in the TARDIS, but the Doctor called my name before I disappeared.

“Just so you know.” He approached me and he took my hand in his “I would never let you down. I don’t know what the future reserve to us, but I’ll make sure you’ll always be safe by my side. I’ll protect you, no matter what.”

I’ve never seen the Doctor being this serious. I could tell by the sound of his voice that he was being very sentimental right now.

“Thanks, Doctor. But you know, I trust you.”

On these words, he let go of my hands and gave me the kindest smiles I’ve ever seen.

I headed to my room a bit anxious. I didn’t know what will happen to me. Even if the Doctor will look after me on our adventures, it’s sure that one day, we’ll be separated. I don’t know how nor when. But for the moment, I trust the Doctor, and I’ll just try to forget this to enjoy fully our precious moments in the universe.