Chapter 16

A few days had passed by, and DongHyuck was nowhere to be seen, he didn't pick up his calls nor saw his messages, even the teachers did not want to tell him where he was. Mark sighted, walking towards DongHyuck class in hopes that he was there, standing outside and seeing the students leave, trying to see if he was coming out. He looked inside the classroom, now empty, realising that DongHyuck had not come yet again.
He called his mother, telling her that he was going to DongHyucks house to see if he was there, since he had not seen him in the last few days and had no idea what was up with him. He remembered the way to his house, it wasn't far from his own and the road was quite empty.
He ringed the bell, hearing yet again shouts dying down after his action, assuming his parents were fighting again. The door was opened after a few seconds, revealing DongHyucks mother.
-Hi Mark, what brings you here?- asked the woman on the door, looking surprised of seeing the guy.
-I'm looking for DongHyuck, he hasn't come to school and he has a test soon so...-
The women stayed silent, bringing her hand on Marks shoulder and smiling.
-He is not here, Mark, I'm sorry. I will tell him to call you when I see him- spoke Mrs Lee closing the door, not giving anymore time to Mark to speak and leaving him even more confused.

He walked into class the next morning, the first 20 minutes being with his homeroom teacher to discuss the boring news they had. He sat down at his desk, greeting the guy next to him.
-Good morning class, today you will not have the first lesson, since there's something important that needs to be discussed.- the teacher got up from his seat, walking in silence in front of his desk. He was a middle age man, but was probably one of the nicest teachers in school and Mark was glad he was his homeroom teacher. He was happy they didn't have their first lesson that day, at least he didn't have to bear with the annoying math teacher. He didn't realise that the teacher was still quite, and the class was just waiting for him to start speaking.
-This is a really delicate topic, and maybe most of you did not know this student, but we need to discuss this, to prevent that things like this will happen again- the class was quite, and Mark swore it was probably someone caught by the police while doing drugs or something illegal and was putting the school reputation at risk.
-Depression is not a joke, it's serious, and we never know who has it, and we never know what comes with it- Mark raised his eyes to his teacher, he felt nervous, thinking about the guys who were bothering DongHyuck and calling him a depressed faggot or weak bitch.
-This time, we as a community were not able to prevent some of the consequences of depression, we were not able to hear those who screamed for help. People ask for help in different ways, they show their problems differently, after all we are unique, we are all different. This student specifically was my student too, I thought his class history and he was even failing, but I know he always tried his best, I could see it in him-
Mark thought about all the times he explained history to DongHyuck, he knew he liked the subject but he just had bad memory, he liked way better modern history but in his course they were still doing something else. He thought about all the times DongHyuck forgot his history book, it was always that one.
-We never know what people around us are going through, we just can't know, we only know what they let us know, and sometimes it's nothing. Now we can only help those who are in similar situations.- the teacher stopped again, taking a deep breath.
-Lee DongHyuck left us three days ago, his second time trying to take his life-
Marks heart stopped. Did he hear well? Where there other Lee DongHyuck in his school? It couldn't be the Lee DongHyuck he knew, after all his mother didn't say anything about it when he went to his house. He looked down, the class was completely silent, and he could only hear his heart beating, his head hurt. He breathed deeply, hearing the guy next to him crying softly, he knew he was Ju Haknyeon, one of the guys who knew DongHyuck and were not just students in the same school. This was a joke. It couldn't be, Mrs Lee told him that DongHyuck would have called him, and yes he didn't call him yet but he was sure he was just taking his time. He would have saw him after class, they had to study together anyway.
DongHyuck was nowhere to be seen, and Mark had gotten home. He felt like crying, he felt like it was his fault, he could have done something, but he never did.