Chapter 19

The moment I land home I get overwhelmed by the relief of actually being back. The air always seems so much lighter and cleaner here. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath before opening them again. The sky a violet shine instead of the blue I've been looking at on Earth.
"Virgil!" Aimee's voice stops me from taking it all in and I turn around. She jumps in my arms.
"Is everything okay?" She wonders when she pulls back. I smile reassuringly as I nod.
"The humans brought him to the city for their funeral ritual. They're sleeping now, but it'll happen tomorrow." I update her. Logan comes closer and rests his hand on my shoulder.
"I acquired the news about the man with the glasses. He was an unnecessary pawn in Deceit's plan." He looks at me with sympathy. I nod in agreement.
"It shouldn't have been." I speak up before taking in another deep breath. "But that's not why I'm here. How's everyone doing after today?" I ask my brother and sister.
"We're healing. Fortunately you managed to stop the fight before anyone died. Mom and dad were all over the place as well as most of the other generations once they found out what happened." My brother speaks up. Taking his hand off my shoulder.
"It will require some time before our trust in each other is restored. The deeds Chasten and Birrol executed have really shaken most of us to the core. We lied and fought." He shakes his head in disbelief.
"I'm sure we can get back to the way we were before. Our grandparents managed to do so too." I remind him. He nods. Still looking a bit troubled.
"What happened to our estranged brother and sister?" I ask him then.
"Chasten is in prison. Most of our brothers and sisters want to keep him there for the rest of his life. Only time will tell." He replies. "Samyn is spoken free. We agreed she got brainwashed with lies like most others who were present today." He adds. I notice how my little sister looks down at her feet in shame.
"You weren't the only one." I reassure her gently.
"Logan tried to warn me." She looks guilty up in my eyes. "I didn't listen. I was so angry at the thought of you dying like in the picture they painted. I-I only wanted revenge." She admits.
"Belief me when I say it happens to the best of us. Grief does strange things with one's emotions and rational thoughts." I forgive her.
"The important element is that you didn't go through with it." Our brother adds.
"The moment I saw you were alive I felt like I was in some kind of alternate reality. I realized I couldn't believe a single word that came out of their mouths. I-I never felt like that before." She frowns softly.
"We're not supposed to distrust each other. It's a territory we don't want to find ourselves in and yet today we had to face that reality." I look bitter. I open my mouth to say more, but turn my head around when I hear something else.
"Virgil?" Roman's voice sounds up hesitantly. I look back up at my brother and sister.
"I'm being called. I'll come back soon." I promise them. Before I fly away, there's one more thing I need to know.
"What happened to the bodies?" I question in an afterthought.
"They all got cremated and spread across Earth. No one wanted to mourn them." My brother answers. I nod curt. Makes sense they don't get the usual treatment.
"Bye." I wave them goodbye before going back to Earth. I notice Roman is alone in his large room and I land. He startles when I appear I front of him.
"I wasn't sure it would work." He admits.
"I'll always come when you call." I promise him sincere. He nods. Tears brimming in his eyes. I step closer and want to pull him in a hug so I can ease his heavy heart. He shakes his head and steps back.
"No." He mutters as he looks at my feet rather than at my face. I tilt my head confused. "Don't take my pain. D-Don't touch me. I don't deser-" He shakes his head again as he starts crying before he can finish his sentence.
"Ro-" I look at him worried when I take another step closer.
"No, Virgil, please, don't." He sticks out his hand as he stumbles back. His eyes meet mine then and I see the torment in them.
"What's going on?" I question concerned. His emotions are all over the place and I can't seem to figure out what's happening.
"I-I killed him, Virge. He's dead because of me." Roman cries softly. His eyes looking into mine desperately.
"It was him or you." I remind him again. I knew he was having trouble with taking another man's life, but Remus had it coming. It was a battle and Roman came out as the survivor. He shouldn't fret himself up for it. He shakes his head.
"N-Not him. P-Patton." He clarifies. I knit my eyebrows together.
"Roman, you didn't kill Patton." I tell him. Why would he even think that?
"I-I did. I-I killed R-Remus a-and that's w-why P-Patton is dead." He stammers hurt. "I-I killed m-my f-friend." He leans on one of the armchairs as if the sorrow is too heavy and he can't hold himself up anymore. He bites down on his hand to muffle his sobs. He closes his eyes as he slowly falls to his knees and sobs shake his fragile frame. I crouch beside him.
"Don't do that to yourself." I tell him with a soft voice. I want to rest my hand on his shoulder, but he's been clear he doesn't want to be touched.
"Look at me." I order him gently and he flicks his eyes up at me hesitantly. Tears roll out of them and drip down his chin on the yellow and red carpet.
"You didn't kill your friend. Remus killed Patton." I tell him stern. He shakes his head in denial.
"I-"
"No." I cut him off. "You can't do this to yourself. Patton wouldn't have wanted you to and deep down you know it." I continue before he can stop me. He drops his head and I listen to his heartbreaking sobs. Clenching my jaws to not cry myself.
"I-It hurts." He sniffs with his eyes screwed closed. His hands tangled in his hair as he pulls at it softly.
"Then let me take the pain away." I offer in a gentle voice. He shakes his head in refusal.
"Roman, you don't deserve it. No matter what you tell yourself." I reply frustrated. He remains quiet and I let out a sigh. Screw it. I sit down next to him and pull him in my lap.
"N-No." He tries to fight me.
"I won't take it away." I promise him against my better judgement as I wrap my arms securely around him. "But I'm also not going to let you do this to yourself." I add resolute. As if my touch was the last straw, he completely breaks down. Melting like an ice cube in the sun. Only held together by my arms now.
"You did nothing wrong." I assure him softly. He grabs my shirt in his fist as if he needs something to hold on to. There was nothing he could have done for him. Patton got caught in the crossfire of a war that never should've happened in the first place. I gently comb through his messy hair with my fingers in a slow rhythm. He washed the dried blood out before coming here. I hate seeing him like this. I hate that he never allows me to fix it. Why does he always have to torture himself? He doesn't have to be strong all the time.
I'm uncertain of how long we've been sitting on the floor before he starts to calm down again. I place my lips softly on top of his head. He wipes his cheeks dry with his sleeve, but keeps resting his head against my shoulder.
"Are you doing it?" He whispers suddenly.
"No." I reply honestly. I haven't used my power on him for the entire time we've been sitting here. He lets out a shaky breath before burying his face in my neck and hugging me back.
"You don't even try and you're already doing it." He accuses softly. I smirk down at him. Relieved to feel his emotions have calmed down. It's still a hurricane in his heart, but he seems to be able to handle it at the moment.
"I'm sorry." He whispers barely audible then. Not looking up at me.
"Why do you always apologize for feeling?" I frown not understanding.
"Because I know you don't like to be touched." He replies. "Let alone cradle a crying mess." He adds. I push him back so I can look at him properly. He blinks surprised up at me. His eyes still red and watery from crying.
"Is that really what you think?" I question shocked. Have I really pushed him back that often that he can convince himself of something like that? He looks a bit unsure, but doesn't deny it.
"Fuck, Roman, I don't care if you're a crying mess." I let out. "I don't mind being touched by you. What I don't like is seeing you so broken and you not accepting my help." I clarify. He bites down on his bottom lip.
"You really are an idiot." I curse under my breath as I hang my head and shake it in disbelief. Before I can look up again I feel his soft lips on my forehead.
"I don't mind being touched by you either." He whispers with the ghost of a smile pulling at his lips. I roll my eyes fondly as a smirk forms on my face.
"C'mere." I sigh amused and he leans closer to kiss me. Our lips moving gently against one another. I rest my hand in his neck and he parts his lips to give me access. I deepen the kiss and he shuffles in my lap. Sitting on his knees on either side of me as he rests both his hands in my neck. His fingers playing with the hair in the nape of my neck. I keep him close by resting my other hand on the small of his back. Without meaning to my wings come out again. He startles before chuckling against my lips over his reaction. I smirk pleased at the sound. I prefer his laugh over his sobs any time. An idea pops in my head and I peck his lips soft and quick before moving. Picking him up with ease as I stand up. His eyes widen and he clings to my neck scared. As if I'd drop him. Once I stand up I gesture him to put his feet down and I set him back on the ground.