ch. 11: Apres Moi, Le Deluge

Down in the courtyard of the abattoir, everyone felt the earthquake that shook the entire city.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked.

"Davina," Klaus answered.

I knew that she had been pissed, but damn.

*

I stood in a room with Klaus, Marcel and Elijah. "This is crazy. How can a sixteen year old girl shake the entire French Quarter?"

"I've seen her rock the church, but nothing like this," Marcel told us.

"How did you control her when she was in the attic?" Klaus asked.

"I didn't have to," Marcel told him. "But then I never killed her boyfriend."

"Yes, yes, we've been over this part already," Klaus told us. "The point is, in her present state, she's useless as a tool against the witches."

"She's not a tool," Marcel told him. "Something's wrong with her."

"She has too much power that she cannot control," Elijah told us. "That much, we already knew. But why is it manifesting itself in such an aggressive manner?"

I smirked, walking toward the door.

"Where are you going?" Marcel asked.

"This is witch business," I told them. "Let's ask a witch."

I walked out of the room, leaving.

*

In Lafayette Cemetery, I heard Sophie and Sabine talking next to an alter.

They hadn't noticed me yet.

Sabine was working on something with herbs, picking one up and observing.

Sophie walked closer. "Ugh, if that's dinner, I pass."

"Sophie, where have you been?" Sabine asked.

"Short answer, grave robbing," Sophie answered. "Stop whatever you're doing. We need to find Davina. I figured out a way to complete the Harvest."

Sophie took off her back pack.

"What?" Sabine asked. "How?"

"We need an Elder to do it, right?" Sophie asked. "I figured out a way how to become one."

"Soph, you can't just become an Elder," Sabine told her. "That power has to be bestowed upon you by the other Elders, all of whom are dead. Following my logic?"

"How about follow your history?" Sophie asked. "I did research. In 1742, there was a witch massacre that wiped out all the Elders, so they decided whoever consecrated the most powerful dead witch in the community became an Elder. It worked for them."

"Teeny flaw," Sabine told her. "What powerful witch is even left for you to bury?"

Sophie knelt next to her back. "Ah." She opened the bag, revealing remains inside. "Meet Celeste Marie-Helene Dubois, Elijah Mikaelson's old lover." She handed Sabine an old picture. "She was drowned in 1821 for being a witch. He buried her, never told anyone where."

"So how the hell did you find her?" Sabine asked.

"I bribed Hayley's to read his journals, and then I dug her ass up so I could consecrate her bones and absorbed her power," Sophie asked, setting the bones across the alter.

"That's not disrespectful," Sabine said sarcastically.

"Yeah?" Sophie asked. "Well, we only have a couple more weeks to complete the Harvest."

"Soph, I'm aware of our dead line, but--" Sabine started.

"And if we fail, the witches are done for in this town," Sophie told her. "Our power will fade for good. Those girls sacrificed will never resurrect. My niece will never come back. If digging up some creepy old bones means I get Monique back, I don't care about anything else."

I finally decided to let them know I was there. "You might not, but surprisingly, I do." They looked toward me in surprise. "And I'm not the only one." I looked at Sophie. "You're coming with me."

"Sorry, Noah, but you can't get inside the cemetery without an invitation," Sophie told me. "Sacred ground, spelled to not let any vampires in. So you can't force me to come with you."

I smirked sarcastically. "I may not be able to come in, but I do have some news that might convince you. It's about Davina Claire."

Sophie raised her eyebrows.

*

Davina's magic was tearing her apart, and if the Harvest wasn't complete, then it would take all of us with her.

The first stage, Earth, had already come and past, with the shattering earthquakes. The second stage, Air, had came and went, with billowing winds.

Now, the third stage: Water.

Rains, storms, floods...

Rebekah came to me. "Where would Marcel hide something precious to him?"

"You think I'm just gonna offer that up so you can kill him to get Davina back and finish the Harvest?" I asked skeptically.

"Fire kills vampires, Noah," Rebekah told me. "You think burning to ash will be pleasant? Look. I will never hurt Marcel. I promise I just want to convince him to make all of this stop."

"Convince him to sacrifice the girl he's fought for since day one?" I asked. "Good luck with that. I wouldn't even dream of going there."

"Just tell me where Marcel would go," Rebekah told me. "If you don't, it's not just the humans that are in danger. It's all of us."

I sighed. "There's a place by the docks."

*

They had completed the Harvest, and as promised, the apocolyptic magic had stopped.

But the resurrection hadn't worked.

Davina, Monique, Abigail and Cassie were dead for good.