Preface (The Vampire Diaries Back Door Pilot)

Working for Marcel was a lot harder than it looks. 

Killing, maiming, torturing....

But mostly, we just partied until we got drunk or dead.

Now, Diego, Thierry and I sat together as everyone in the bar watched Marcel performing karaoke on stage, singing "How Do You Like Me Now?" by the Heavy. "See, I been a bad bad bad bad man. And I'm in deep. Yeah. I found a brand new love for this man. And can't wait till you see. I can't wait." He waved his arm. "So how you like me now? How you like me now? How you like me now? How you like me now? How you like me now?" The song ended. Marcel spoke into the microphone. "Thank you." 

Marcel jumped down from the stage to applause and join us.

I handed him a drink. "You killed it, man."

Klaus Mikaelson finally decided to make his presence back in New Orleans known, standing a few feet away.

Marcel and I looked toward him.

Everyone noticed the tension.

"Klaus," Marcel said.

"Marcel," Klaus replied. 

"Must be a hundred years since that nasty business with your papa," Marcel told him. 

"Has it been that long?" Klaus asked.

Klaus and Marcel started to approach one another slowly. 

"The way I recall it, he ran you outta town," Marcel told him. "Left a trail of dead vampires in his wake."

Klaus' tone was agressive. "And yet how fortunate you managed to survive." He looked toward me. "And your little protege there. Noah, was it?" I shrugged. "My father, I'm afraid, I recently incinerated to dust."

Diego and Thierry stood, ready for a confrontation.

Half of the restaurant followed suit.

I smirked, looking down and shaking my head, knowing something they didn't.

Marcel ignored them, looking at Klaus. "Well, if I'd known you were coming back in town, if I had a heads up--"

"What, Marcel?" Klaus asked. "What would you have done?" 

Klaus and Marcel were standing toe to toe. 

The tension in the air was thick.

Marcel paused before answering. "I'd have thrown you a damn parade."

Marcel broke into a wide grin, laughing.

Klaus smiled, laughing.

They wrapped their arms around each other like long-lost brothers.

Marcel pulled back, placing his hands on either side of Klaus' neck. "Niklaus Mikaelson. My mentor, my savior, my sire. Come on. Let's get you a drink."

*

Marcel, Klaus, Diego, Thierry and I were in another room, but Marcel and Klaus were speaking to each other at a different table.

Marcel poured drinks. "It is good to see you."

"It's good to be home," Klaus told him. "Although, please tell me the current state of Bourbon Street isn't your doing."

Marcel chuckled. "Something's gotta draw in the out-of-towners, otherwise we'd all go hungry."

Klaus peered at Diego, Thierry and me. "I see your friends are daywalkers."