ch. 12: Dance Back From the Grave

There was a meeting called in the abattoir for all of the inner circle vampires.

Marcel walked downstairs with a bottle of bourbon in hand.

"Hey, Marcel, maybe you know what's going on," I told him. "Klaus ordered us to meet here, and now he's a no-show."

"What do you want from me?" Marcel asked. "It's a new regime. Get used to it."

Klaus appeared. "Dearest brethren, your attention, please." Thierry walked inside with him. "No doubt, you're all surprised to see Thierry Vanchure." I smiled slightly, stepping closer. "Who's supposed to be rotting in the garden for the crime of killing one of our own." Marcel sat down. "And I personally decided to issue him with a pardon. I hope you'll all welcome home Thierry." There was cheers and applause. "Welcome home, mate."

Thierry and I wrapped our arms around each other like long-lost brothers.

I pulled back, looking at Klaus. "You're in a good mood. You should visit Mystic Falls more often."

"Well, as much as I might like to, I have pressing responsibilities here," Klaus told us. "Now, as you all know, the witch Davina is no longer with us. Without Davina, we no longer monitor the activity of our witch neighbors. However, since their Harvest failed, their magic will soon be gone forever. Until then, I say we keep them on their toes. Noah, I wonder if you might lead a roasting in the Cauldron."

I smirked, shrugging. "Let's do it." Marcel stood, starting to walk away. I stepped in front of him. "Marcel, maybe you'd join us."

"Nah," Marcel told me. "I'm gonna take a personal day."

I nodded.

Marcel walked away.

*

We had gone to the Cauldron only to find something extremely wrong.

I went back to the abattoir, seeing Marcel sitting on a couch, drinking.

Klaus was standing in front of him. "Ugh, is this what's it's come to? I bear the full weight of our kingdom while you pout like a child?"

"You wanted to be king," Marcel told him. "Besides, you look like you got it covered."

"If the men see you shirk your duties, they're likely to do the same," Klaus told him.

Marcel leaned forward. "I told you, I am not in the mood for vampire hijinx."

"No, you'd rather sit wallowing in sarrow for your lost little friend," Klaus told him.

Marcel stood. "Don't push me right now."

"I am sorry Davina is gone, okay?" Klaus asked. "I'm sorry, but this mournful attitude is unworthy of you, and it's boring to me."

I decided to let them know I was there. "Hey, guys." They looked toward me. "We got a problem."

*

At the Cauldron, I led them toward the witch circle with two vampires inside, dead, desiccated, with a symbol carved into their heads. "We came to mess with the witches, just like you said, and these two, they went missing. Found them like this. Not even staked, just dead."

Marcel turned around, walking away.

Klaus turned after him. "Where are you going? Someone has to account for this."

Marcel turned back. "You want revenge, get it yourself." He pointed to the mark, speaking to the other vampires. "That mark is tied to some bad mojo. Any of you got any brains, you'll head back to the compound and stay the hell out of this."