ch. 21: The Battle of New Orleans

Marcel and I were waiting on the side of the road with a few police officials for Jackson and Oliver driving down the road.

"Lot of driving for a bag of rocks," Oliver told him.

"We'll be in the Quarter by dawn," Jackson told him.

"You sure the hybrid will do his part?" Oliver asked.

Jackson smiled. "Hayley will make sure of that."

"Yeah, I forgot your fiancee's got him wrapped around her finger," Oliver said sarcastically. 

"You know, Ollie, I love you like a brother, but if you don't lay off Hayley, we're gonna have a problem," Jackson told him.

"Pay attention, Romeo," Oliver told him. 

The saw the two police cruisers blocking the road ahead of them, slowing to a stop. 

There were at least a half dozen police officers standing in front of the cruisers.

Oliver and Jackson became extremely nervous.

"All right, relax," Jackson told him. "Ain't done nothing." He rolled down his window to talk to the officers. "Evening, officers!"

"Step out of the car," one of the officers told him. "Both of you."

"What's this about?" Jackson asked. 

All the officers pulled out their hand guns and shot guns, aiming them at Jackson and Oliver, scaring them.

Marcel and I walked closer. 

I smiled. "I think you should do what the man says."

Marcel was a little more threatening than I was. "Before things take a nasty turn."

Oliver and Jackson glared at us.

*

We brought Jackson and Oliver to the old warehouse of Thierry Vanchure at the docks. 

Jackson and Oliver were each bound to a chair, both bruised and bloody from being beaten.

Diego repeatedly punched Oliver in the face.

"Leave him alone!" Jackson told him.

"We'll leave your boy alone when you tell us what Klaus is up to," I told him.

"How the hell should I know what he's up to?" Jackson asked.

"See, I know you've been meeting him," Marcel told him. "The stones in your duffel bag?" He knelt down in front of Jackson to look him in the eye. "That's black hyanite. It's pretty rare. I also know enough about witchcraft to recognize the ingredients of a spell." 

Jackson glared angrily.

"So, you'll make me ask again?" I asked. Jackson sneered. "Okay." 

Marcel backed away from them, looking at Diego.

Diego grabbed a blow torch, walking over to them. "You wanna know the problem with having two werewolf hostages? You really only need one." 

Diego lit the blow torch.

Oliver and Jackson's eyes widened in alarm.

"You Crescent boys, you think you're a bunch of badasses, but back in '25, we wiped out a whole bloodline of Guerrera werewolves," I told him. "They were a lot tougher than you."