ch. 22: From a Cradle to a Grave

Davina entered the compound's courtyard, horrified to see all the dead and dying vampires lying around.

Marcel and I were tending to Diego and the other vampires who were still alive.

"Cami?" Davina asked. She saw Marcel was bitten, all of beaten and bloody. "Oh, God, what happened?"

Marcel was weak, out of breath. "Klaus..."

"They fought, and he got bit," I told her, putting a damp cloth on Diego's forehead.

Cami went to tend to the others.

"Marcel...." Davina trailed off. 

"It's okay," Marcel told her. "I gave as good as I got. But, we need Klaus' blood to heal."

Marcel held Davina's shoulder before walking to where Cami was helping the others near the fountain.

Davina thought for a moment. "You fought Klaus. Did he bleed?"

"I got him pretty good, yeah," Marcel answered.

Davina was determined. "Where?"

Davina went to try to collect enough blood to save the vampires. 

Or at least Marcel and Josh.

*

Davina returned to the compound, presenting Marcel with the blood that she had salvaged from the fight.

Cami was at Josh's side.

Josh was fading fast. 

"There's only enough here for one," Marcel told her gently.

"No!" Davina told him, distraught. "This has to be enough." Marcel patted Josh on the shoulder, but he didn't notice. Davina started to cry. "I can't choose. Please don't make me choose."

Marcel looked at her with sadness, taking the cup from her. "Save your friend." He walked toward Josh. "I can take care of the rest of us."

"Marcel?" Cami asked.

"I can't--" Josh started.

"Judging by the look of that bite, you don't have time to argue," Marcel told him.

"Marcel?" Davina asked.

"Josh is one of my guys, and enough of my guys have died today," Marcel told them. "So, come on."

Marcel helped Josh sit up.

Cami helped feed Josh the small cup of blood. 

I shook my head. "Screw this." 

I walked toward the door.

Marcel stood in front of me. "Hey. Where do you think you're going?"

"To find Klaus, get his blood, and save as many of our guys as I can," I answered. "Out of all of us here, I'm the only one who wasn't bitten. You're weak Marcel, you can't fight him like this. I'm going."

I walked toward the door.

"Noah, wait," Cami told me. I turned to look at her. "For that, you'll need a weapon. And it just so happens, I have an arsenal."

*

Cami led Marcel, Davina and I to Kieran's secret apartment's hidden room.

It was full of files and various historical artifacts.

"So, this is what Kieran was hiding," I said.