ch. 7: Bloodletting

It was Fight Night at the abattoir, people gathered all around the covered courtyard.

I walked out to the edge of the balcony, leaning against the railing. "Ladies, gentlemen, welcome to Fight Night." There was cheers and applause. I smiled, egging it on. "And the first rule of Fight Night is, the vampire left standing at the end of the night is one step closer to the inner circle..." I raised my hand to show them my daylight ring. "And one of these. A daylight ring. If you can impress me with a little ultra-violence, you too can enjoy the warmth of the sun on your face. All you got to do is kick a little ass." There was cheers and applause. "So here we go." The crowd started to from a circle to allow a ring in the middle of them, big enough to let two vampires face off against each other. "Our first two contenders. Felicia." Felicia stepped into the cleared circle. "And Otto."

A large, muscular man stepped into the circle across from her. He punched her across the face with a back-hand punch. He tried to punch her again. Felicia ducked, kicking him away from her. She jumped into the air to come down extra hard with her fist, elbowing him in the face, punching toward him.

Marcel stood next to me. "Did I ever mention to you that this was one of your best ideas ever?"

I smirked.

Otto grabbed Felicia's throat, lifting her from the floor, slamming her onto it. Felicia stood, grabbing him around the waist, throwing him to the floor. She turned him over onto his back, repeatedly punching him. Otto pushed her away from him. Felicia ran toward him, jumping into the air, wrapping her legs around his head, having him in a headlock. Otto tried to lean over and push her off. Felicia twisted her legs, snapping his neck, letting him fall, standing.

There was cheers and applause.

"Damn, girl, not bad," I told her.

Klaus rushed in front out of nowhere, snapping Felicia's neck, letting her body fall.

The crowd fell into silence.

"Good evening," Klaus told us. "I'd like a word."

"What do you think you're doing?" Marcel asked.

Elijah walked into the circle, standing next to Klaus. "It appears that we've interrupted a collection of filthy amateurs." He looked at Marcel. "We've come here for the girl. Give her to us, or ....we kill everyone here. Starting with you."

"You two got a lot of nerve coming into my home and making demands," Marcel told them.

"You're home, is it?" Klaus asked.

"The girl," Elijah told us. "I will not ask again."

"I assume you're talking about Hayley," Marcel told them. "Yay high, dark hair, bitchy attitude. Who is she, anyway?"

"She's an old friend," Klaus told us. "You know how sentimental I am about old friends."

"Well, whoever the hell you three are talking about, we ain't got her," I told them.

"And before you start whining, I did pay her a little visit last night," Marcel told them. "I was feeling nostalgic. So I took a trip out to the plantation where I used to be a slave, and imagine my surprise when I realized that the Original family of vampires had taken up residence. Your girl Hayley answered the door. We exchanged hellos. That was it. You don't believe me, look around. Hell, I'll even help you find her, but the question I'd ask is, if Hayley isn't here, then where is she?"

*

"Not the most attractive community, are they?" Elijah asked.

"You do realize they can hear you," Klaus told him.

"You do realize I don't care," Elijah replied.

"You know, Elijah, I liked you better in that box," I told him.

Elijah smiled sarcastically.

"But, Klaus, my sire, you, I owe the world, and I always show respect to my elders," Marcel told him.

"If your special lady friend is missing, you can benefit from the help of a witch," I told them. A vampire brought in the witch Sabine. "And since we control all of the witches in this town, we'll grant you one little locator spell. Sabine is the best guide in the Quarter." I looked at Sabine. "You need to find someone, I guarantee she's your girl."

I started to walk away.

"Where are you going?" Klaus asked.

"I hate to cut this short, but the sun is coming up soon," I told them. "The nightwalkers need to get inside, and the city needs to be run. I'll leave you to track down your lost sheep."

I turned around, walking out.

*

At the bar, we saw Josh watching the vampires playing drinking games.

Marcel stood next to him. "You know, you could always join them."

"Uh, drinking games," Josh said. "It's not really my thing. It kind of reminds me of the jocks in my high school. We had a pretty high quota of what you'd call 'douche nozzles'."

"Bullies, huh?" Marcel asked.

"Yeah," Josh answered.

"Wonder what'd happen if you saw those guys now," Marcel told him. "I bet you'd tear them apart, right?"

"Ah, yeah, totally," Josh told him. Marcel sat across from him at the table. "Probably go all vamp ninja on them."

Marcel smiled, chuckling. "You're a funny guy, Josh. In fact, I thought it was really funny last night, you know, seeing you at that plantation where Klaus is staying."

Josh instantly turned afraid, standing, turning to leave.

I was standing in his way, laughing. "You going somewhere, Josh?"

Josh didn't answer, looking between us nervously.

Marcel took Josh to Davina so that she could wipe away Klaus' compulsion and flip him around to where Josh would spy on Klaus instead.

*

A hybrid of Klaus' had come to tell us something at the nightwalker bar, Tyler Lockwood.

"You want to make a deal with us, you gotta offer something," I told him. "I already know about Hayley the werewolf girl. What else you got?"

"What if I told you that werewolf girl is carrying Klaus' child..." Tyler trailed off. "And if that baby is born, it'll mean the end of the vampire species?"

Now I was officially curious.