ch. 20: A Closer Walk With Thee

Klaus had allowed Marcel back into town for the funeral and the wake for Kieran. 

The Quarter was throwing an Irish-style wake in his honor, complete with Irish music, lots of alcohol, and tons of people who had gathered to share stories of Kieran and celebrate his life.

In Rousseau's, I raised a bottle to toast in front of everyone. "It's a testament to Father Kieran that we could come together and share a drink, and a story or two. Kieran rolled into town on a rusty old cruiser after his daddy died 25 years ago. And, damn it, that guy could party!" We laughed. "That was, of course, before he took his vows. But, even then, he was committed to the Quarter. He knew that this town needed him. And, we still do." I raised my glass. "To Father K!" 

"To Father K," everyone repeated, drinking in his honor, going back to their festivities. 

*

Kieran's funeral procession was going on the next day.

Hundreds of community members were gathered in the streets of the French Quarter after the funeral, as Father Kieran's casket was placed in a horse carriage to begin the parade in his honor, walking down the street to the sounds of the jazz music being played. I stood behind the priests acting as pallbearers for Kieran. 

*

We went to Lafayette Cemetery for Kieran's burial.

A priest gave a homily at the O'Connell family tomb. 

We gathered around him, and a caretaker laid the bricks in front of Kieran's body. 

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God," the Priest told us. "He was with God in the beginning. In Him was Life, and that Life was the Light of all Mankind. The Light shines in the Darkness, and the Darkness has not overcome it."

Rest in peace, Father Kieran.