ch. 15: Le Grand Guignol

Flashback - 1919

I stood in a bar with jazz music playing in the background and drinking booze.

A man with dark skin, his head covered with a thin line of black hair. "You seem a little young to be drinking alone in a bar."

"Well, I'm far too young to hate the home I was raised in," I told him.

"I know you," he told me. "I saw your father, the sheriff, he, uh..."

"Nothing that he hasn't done a hundred times over," I told him. "Why do you care?"

"I guess you can say that I can relate," he told me. "My name's Marcel. And you are..."

"Noah," I answered.

"Well, you're a fighter, Noah," Marcel told me. "Fighters have got to stick together."

"Granted, if that one fighter isn't young enough for you to call son," another man said, standing next to us.

Marcel seemed annoyed. "Noah, this is Niklaus Mikaelson. He's like a father to me. Saved my life, you know."

"And turned you into a vampire?" I asked. Klaus and Marcel looked at me. "You said it yourself, Marcel, my father is the sheriff. There's nothing he knows that I don't."

Marcel smirked. "Hmm. I think you and I can get along just fine."

*

Now

Back in 1919, Rebekah and Marcel had summoned Mikael to New Orleans to scare Klaus away so that they could finally be together.

And now, all these years later, Klaus had found that out because of the witches. He was weak now, with Papa Tunde's blade in his chest, but he wouldn't be forever.

So they needed a witch for them to do a cloaking spell and hide from Klaus forever.

Davina.

Three witches remained for the Harvest sacrifice. Celeste, Genevieve, and Bastiana. If they died, the three other Harvest girls, including Davina, would come back, but we didn't know which one to kill to bring Davina back.

They wanted to kill all of them.

"Papa Tunde is dead," Rebekah told me. "That leaves Sabine, Bastiana, and Genevieve."

"We want to kill them all, and as soon as Davina rises, we take her with us," Marcel told me.

"Look, we have one shot at this," Rebekah told me. I poured three drinks for us. "And I know our chances of success are sweet bugger all, but we've got to do it. So please, help us."

I smirked, handing each of them a glass. "Not many go up against those odds and live to tell the story. But I can name a few." I looked at Marcel. "We're still standing here, aren't we? The worst of them all has come knocking on our door, and I'm only alive because you found me and saved my life."

"You're getting ahead of the story," Marcel told me. "And I wouldn't have been able to save your life if you hadn't saved mine."

I shrugged. "Maybe. But, Marcel, tell me, what happened right before that?"

Mikael Mikaelson had found Marcel and wanted to find Klaus.

"So are you gonna help us or not?" Rebekah asked.

I smirked. "I'm in."

*

At the docks, in a warehouse, I sat across the table from Genevieve and Bastiana. "Where's the third one? Sabine? I asked to meet with all three of you."

"Our meeting you at all is a courtesy for your being a friend to witches in the past, but also given the fact of your enemies, courtesy has its limits," Genevieve told me. "Now, you said you had information of interest to us."

"Rebekah and Marcel are back," I told them. "They came for Davina, and they think that they can get her if they kill all three of you. Now look. I can lead you straight to them, but there's something I want in return."

"And what's that?" Bastiana asked.

I stood. "Your life."

I rushed around the table, pushing Bastiana against the table, ripping her head off.

Literally.

Rebekah rushed inside, pushing Genevieve against the wall.

Genevieve started to chant.

Rebekah lowered to her knees in pain, crying out.

Marcel rushed toward Genevieve.

Genevieve used magic to set fire to his arm. "Follow me, and I'll turn all of you into ash."

Genevieve walked out.

The fire on Marcel's arm ceased.

I walked toward the door.

"Forget her," Marcel told me. "We'll get her later."

"Marcel, all we have is the element of surprise, and we have lost it," I told him.

Rebekah stood. "If we don't leave now, there will be no one to save us," Rebekah told him.

"I already failed Davina once," Marcel told us. "I'm not leaving her behind."

"Then you better hope that killing Basti-birch was the one thing that could bring her back," I told him. Marcel and Rebekah nodded, walking toward the door. "Good luck."

Marcel stopped, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Thanks, Noah."

"Anytime," I told him.

"Just make sure that they don't find out you helped us," Marcel told me.

"Have you met me?" I asked. "I've got it covered. Don't get yourselves killed."

Marcel smirked, walking out of the place with Rebekah.

*

Flashback

My family was already seated in the opera house.

I walked in just as the place started to burn.

I saw Marcel tied to a cross on stage as the flames burned around them.

I saw everything burning.

The audience. The floors. The walls. Everything around.

I looked around for the family that I had only to see that they were burning, sitting, staying still, never moving or screaming.

They were dead.

And I couldn't feel anything. Felt too broken, too confused, too in denial to move.

But then I did move.

Someone threw me toward the stage, making me slide into the cross that Marcel was tied to.

The man that had thrown me walked toward me. "When I am done here, nobody will be left alive to spread the word of what my son has done here."

I looked at Marcel above me, standing, pulling a pocket knife out to cut his restraints, letting him fall to the floor.

The man rushed toward me, gripping my throat, pushing me against the wall, looking into my eyes. "You will not leave the building. You will stay here, and let the fire consume you just as it consumed your family, and friends. Do you understand?"

"I understand," I answered.

"Good," he said, letting go, pushing me to the floor and walking off of the stage. "I have my own son to kill."

Marcel weakly looked toward me. "We have to get out of here."

"He told me not to," I told him.

Marcel weakly pulled himself toward me, grabbing me and rushing out of the opera house to save us both.