Chapter Ten

"Shall we crack on, then?" Bagman asked, rubbing his hands and smiling at everyone. "Got to give your champions their instructions, haven't we? Barty, want to do the honors?"

Crouch cleared his throat, seeming like he had just been broken out of his thoughts. "Yes, instructions. Yes.. the first task..." Once Crouch has moved up and into the firelight, Magnus was shocked at how pale the man was. He was sickly looking, with large bags under his slightly sunken eyes, and looking quite thin. He had looked far better during the World Cup.

"The first task is designed to test your daring," he began speaking to all the champions, "so we are not going to be telling you what it is. Courage in the face of the unknown is an important quality in a wizard... very important...

"The first task will take place on November, the twenty-fourth, in front of the other students and the panel of judges.

"The champions are not permitted to ask for or accept help of any kind from their teachers to complete the tasks in the tournament. The champions will face the first challenge armed only with their wands. They will receive information about the second task when the first is over. Owing to the demanding and the time-consuming nature of the tournament, the champions are exempted from end-of-year tests."

The sickly looking Crouch turned to Dumbledore, "I think that's all, is it, albus?"

"I think so," agreed Dumbledore, though his gaze at Crouch seemed to be mildly concerned. Dumbledore too and likely noticed just how sickly the man looked. "Are you sure you wouldn't like to stay at Hogwarts tonight, Barty?"

"No, Dumbledore, I must get back to the Ministry," Crouch said, seeming a bit distracted now. "It is a very busy, very difficult time at the moment... I've left young Weatherby in charge... very enthusiastic.. A little overenthusiastic, if truth be told..." Magnus felt a small smirk cross onto his lips for a moment, but he quickly wiped it away. Now was no time to laugh at Percy.

"You'll come and have a drink before you go, at least?" Dumbledore asked, and Magnus wondered if he might be trying to get Crouch to stay longer to keep an eye on him.

"Come on, Barty, I'm staying!" Bagman was still far too bright for all that had happened, and really Magnus couldn't blame Crouch for not wanting to stay when he looked at Bagman. "It's all happening at Hogwarts now, you know, much more exciting here than at the office!"

"I think not, Ludo," there was a touch of Crouch's old impatience back in his voice, but Magnus still wondered what was troubling the man.

"Professor Karkaroff- Madame Maxime- a nightcap?" Dumbledore asked, but the other school heads were already walking their champions away. "Harry, Magnus, I suggest you go up to bed," he turned to them instead, smiling. "I am sure Gryffindor and Ravenclaw are waiting to celebrate with you, and it would be a shame to deprive them of this excellent excuse to make a great deal of mess and noise."

Magnus couldn't help but smile and laugh very slightly, before looking at Harry and nodding. They both walked out of the room together, finding the Great Hall completely deserted now. The candle were burning low now, and Magnus looked up at all the pumpkin's menacing, jagged smiles.

"I guess we're competing against one another now," Magnus said, breaking the silence.

"I s'pose." Harry didn't say much, and when Magnus looked at him, it seemed he was more preoccupied with his own thoughts.

"I'm sorry about all the fuss," Magnus said, smiling as warmly as he could and patting Harry on the shoulder once more. "I don't know who put your name in the Goblet, but we'll figure it out eventually."

Harry looked at Magnus and smiled back. "Thanks."

"Hey, tell George, Fred, and Lee they can come over to the Ravenclaw dorms at some point if they wanna say hi. I'm sure both of our dorms are going to be partying for most of the night though," Magnus's smile turned into a grin as he tried to cheer Harry up before they had to split up.