Chapter Fifteen

The sound of thunder rumbled through the room, lightning flaring passed the window and brightening up the dingy room. Magnus was asleep, or supposed to be, curled up in his tiny little bed. He could hear the faint whisper of voices outside his door, too distant to make out words, but he could tell it was his parents and someone he didn't know.

Carefully, he stood up from the tiny bed, waddling over to the door. He knew his parents didn't like him leaving his room at night, but he was curious, as all toddlers would be. Magnus stretched up to the handle and opened the door, being as careful as a little tyke could, and slid around the door. He had to keep his little hands on the wall to keep from falling, his balance a little shabby, but once he reached the stairs he carefully walked over to the railing and looked down.

Below were a number of people he didn't recognize, standing around in a circle with his parents. They were talking hurriedly, worry on all their faces. "He's vanished, just like that."

"How could that be? Where do you think he's gone?"

"There's been word around the Ministry. They say a baby killed him. Impossible."

"But that Potter child is still alive, isn't he?!"

"That doesn't mean the dark lord is dead! He'll be back, I know it."

"Yes, yes. So long as we have the heir, all will be alright."

"We seem to have a little eavesdropper," everyone looked up as a man with long, platinum blonde hair turned his glare up to the top of the stairs. Magnus stared back down at them, his wide grey eyes looking curiously at all the new faces.

"Magnus. Magnus wake up!" Magnus jolted awake, sitting up quickly in bed and breathing heavily. He was shaking, and it took him a moment to realize his bed was surrounded by Fred, George, and Lee. "Mag, you were having a nightmare. You're alright." He looked up to see George right next to him, a comforting smile on his face.

"Ah y-yeah. Just a nightmare," he rubbed his face, forcing his breathing and heart to calm down. "What time is it?"

"Pretty late, come on." The three backed away from the bed, though they sent each other worried looks, before heading back to their own beds. "I believe a bit of food is in order!"

Magnus glanced over at Lee who was rubbing his stomach hungrily, and laughed. "I think you have a point, some food should help my head." He pulled himself from bed and began dressing. Even after they had gone down to breakfast together and sat there for a bit, Magnus found he couldn't eat anything. He just pushed the food around on his plate with a frown.

"I'm gonna go find somewhere quiet to read. I'll see you guys later," Magnus said as he stood, smiling a bit at them before leaving. He found his way past the dorms and began heading towards the Astronomy Tower, quietly picking at a loose string on his book bag. His mind had gone back to thinking over the dream he'd had, a worried look settling on his face.

Turning a corner, not bothering to watch where he was going, he bumped into someone. Some papers and books fell to the floor out of the person's hands. "Ah, sorry!" He looked up to see Cedric Diggory, the Hufflepuff prefect.

"No worries," Cedric said with a small chuckle, leaning down to start picking up his things. Magnus crouched down to help, hurriedly grabbing up the papers. "You okay, Magnus? You look really tense."

The two of them had known each other for a few years, mostly from their rivalry on the Quidditch field, and could be considered distant friends by some. At the very least, they were on good terms. "Oh, um, it's nothing. I've just not been sleeping well. Got a lot on my mind," he laughed quietly, attempting to put on a convincing smile.