chapter 10

Yujin woke up with a gasp. Her eyes scanned her surroundings warily. She heaved a sigh of relief realising she was in her room. Hitomi sat next to her in a chair.

"How long have I been out for?" She wiped her forehead with the back of her hand, remaining that she was sweating.

"About 2 days, I think. I was begining to get worried."

"Wait, I was passed out for 2 days?" The younger asked in disbelief.

"Well, you were kind of in a coma so..."

"What coma? What are you talking about?"

"You were hit by a truck?" Hitomi looked at her, searching for any signs of remembrance. Seeing none, she continued, "Anyways you kind of died on the spot."

"What?!"

"But then you're not allowed to die until you finish your task and break free from the loop. Complicated system, but deal with it."

"For someone who voluntarily calls herself an angel, you take my death way too lightly." Yujin sat up and took a sip of water from the bottle in her nightstand. Her throat relaxed immediately.

"That's because I knew you'd live. Which dumbass drives while looking backwards though?"

Yujin was caught off guard at Hitomi's intended sarcasm. Right. Why did she anyway? Why she suddenly decided to be all mellowy and stupid in the middle of the road, Yujin had no idea. She also pretended that it had nothing to do with a certain Jang Wonyoung.

"That's- How'd you know that?" Yujin squinted at the other girl.

Hitomi simply shrugged. "I told you I have my ways."

Yujin didn't want to question. For all she knew, the girl could be a 40 year old divorced lady with four kids in custody and a part time shaman career from where she could foresee her enemies' future and ruin them. Hitomi never talked much about herself anyway.

"So, I'm still living the same day?"

"Yes."

Yujin looked at herself. "Why am I still in one piece?"

Hitomi simply stared at her. "Elaborate."

"You said I got killed by a truck. I atleast expected a dislocated shoulder or a broken rib but I think I'm too okay."

"You see, you died at the end of the day but then you're technically going to live the same day again until the loop is broken. That explains why you woke up alive again. The coma is simply a side effect of the accident."

Yujin let out a breath she didn't know she was holding in. "Wait, what about Wonyoung?"

"She was the one who brought you to the hospital. Poor girl couldn't stop crying when she heard you were dead. She was even offering to help at your funeral."

Yujin cringed at the idea of it. Something about Wonyoung and death left a bad taste in her mouth. "How'd you get me home anyways?"

Hitomi grinned. "I pulled a few strings here and there."

Yujin finally knew why Yena and Chaewon called her 'creepy pasta.'

"Anyways I have to go."

Yujin yawned. "So soon? You should stay for breakfast."

But Hitomi  was already standing up and collecting her purse from the nightstand. "As much as I'd like to stay and enjoy a free breakfast, my bakery opens at 8 and I can't be a minute late or it'll ruin the rest of my day."