15

"Bye Mom, bye Dad!" I say as they leave for their trip. Jae has already arrived so he could meet my parents before they left, and my sister has already left for her friend's house, so we are alone.

I look through the blinds in the front so I can see my parents pull out of the driveway.

"Well, we sure are alone," Jae points out. I smile.

I sit next to him and place a hand on his shoulder.

"You know what that means?" I say. We both make eye contact to corroborate a mutual answer.

"Guitar battle," Jae exclaims.

"Dance battle," I shout at the same time. "Oh, uh yes, music, that makes way more sense."

"Dummy head," Jae teases. "Honestly, though, a dance battle sounds fun, but I want a chance to show you the song I've been working on."

"Then how about we eat mac and cheese and you play for me while I stare at you in awe?" I ask.

"Sounds good to me," Jae complies. I make us the food while he starts tuning Seulgi's barely used guitar. The sound of out of tune strings starts to fade into slightly better-sounding ones as I start boiling the water.

"Hey, do you wanna see something I got for Christmas but have never touched?" I ask. He nods and I grab his hand and lead him up the stairs to my room. I start to rustle through my side of the closet until I grab the sleek case of the thing I'm looking for.

We open the case and I see Jae's eyes widen at the instrument.

"This. Is beautiful. Do you play?" He asks, running his hand across the strings.

"Not really," I reply honestly, "I practically begged for one and paid for half of it myself, but I haven't had time to mess with it."

"Bring it down, I can try to make a bass line to go with my song and we can play it together!" He exclaims, waddling back downstairs. I lock up the case and follow after him.

I hand him the bowl of mac and cheese and watch as his eyes light up.

"This stuff reminds me of my childhood," He smiles. I love how excited he gets out of something that took me ten minutes to cook and has something called riboflavin in it.

He messes with the guitar and I notice that he pulls up some sheet music on his phone. He starts playing something that sounds like heaven.

"Is that your song?" I ask, confused, and in awe. He blushes a bit.

"Yeah, it's one of my favorites that I've written," He replies.

"Hold on, keep going!" I urge him. I pick up the bass and start strumming a pattern along with him. It sounds wonky at first, but once I get a steady-ish pattern it all meshes together. Jae's smile becomes huge as he continues the melody.

"Younghyun! You're a genius! That sounds ten times better," He shouts, shoving his phone into my hands. "Type it up into the sheet music, that stays."

I laugh and do what he says. I agree with him, it sounds very nice and it makes it that much more meaningful that we got to create something beautiful together.

"Do you have another amplifier?" He asks. I tilt my head and try to think.

"There might be one in the attic. My dad used to play, and I know there are a couple of keyboards up there, so there might be an amp!" I lead him upstairs and open the attic door. The retractable stairs come falling down and I go up first. I slam my hands against the wall to find the light switch for the cruddy hanging lamp and Jae follows after me.

We look around in all the storage boxes and Jae starts laughing. He picks up a picture in a frame of a little boy at the beach with the most embarrassing outfit.

"Is that you?" He asks. I frown and swipe it away from him.

"Maybe," I say, not wanting to tell him.

"Aw, come on, you were a cute kid, don't be embarrassed," He says, smiling at me.

"Yeah, yeah. I just don't like to see old pictures of me, I was a strange kid," I admit. He throws his hands over my shoulders.

"Well, at least you're hot now!" He jokes. I roll my eyes.

"Romantic!" I respond sarcastically. He looks slightly down at me and moves his head slightly as if he was trying to flip his non-existent long hair over his shoulders for dramatic effect.

"You love it," He says, and I give him a quick kiss. He places his chin on my head, as to show off that he is tall, but since I am barely shorter than him, he has to stretch his neck as far as he can. Just to let him have a win, I bend my head over and move closer to him.

"I have an idea! Why don't call Seulgi and ask her if she knows where one is?" He nods and I start a call with her.

Heyyy Seulgi

what do you want

you embarrassment to

society

love the energy!

uhhh do you know where a

secondary amp would be?

attic?

that's where we are rn

can't find one

damn that's tough

okay bye

go girl! give us nothing!

I'm going to hang up

on you

bye bitch

"Well, that was no help," I sigh, turning around. I see Jae holding just what I needed to see.

"YOU FOUND IT!" I shriek. "WHY, I COULD KISS YOU!"

"I wouldn't mind that one bit."

After hours of us playing and adjusting the song, and subsequently bothering the neighbors, we start to get tired.

"You wanna go upstairs and watch a movie?" I ask. He nods and sets my sister's guitar on the stand.

After getting all the normal night routine stuff out of the way, I set up my computer so we can watch something.

"Genre?" I ask, pulling my comforter up to my elbows.

"Horror?" He asks. I tilt my head at him and give a disappointed look.

"I don't really like scary movies," I admit, hoping he won't make fun of me. Much to my surprise, He smiles and nods in understanding.

"Let's watch a disney movie then!" He suggests. I immediately love how he respects my decision without fully interrogating me as to why.

"I'm so down!" I move closer to him and we start to watch Mulan.

This boy seriously has me wrapped around his finger, and I am not complaining. He is everything I could ever want and more.

My only personality traits are drink black coffee, simp over women I will never get, have colored eyebrows.

Also, the NCT 127 concert I went to was a year ago and I got anxious watching my concert videos because it was very loud and there were lots of people but I almost cried lol