Chapter 14

Ashley woke up with a start, jumping a little as she did. She felt something pushing her down ever so slightly.

"You okay?" Teddy asked. He was holding her shoulder protectively.

"Yeah," She breathed, looking round to see her surroundings "Yeah I'm, I'm fine." Ashley replied

"You were shouting."

"I was?" She asked, looking up at her brother with her eyes before bringing them back down to her hands that were fumbling with the duvet.

"Yeah, you were." He said, looking at her with concern. "Bad dream?"

"Really bad."

"Will a hug from Ted bear help?" He asked

Ashley hugged him tightly which was sudden for Teddy because he wasn't prepared, but he let her into his arms and stroked her hair.

"I hope I didn't wake up mum and dad." She said.

"No." He replied. "The walls of this room and theirs must be really thick."

"I don't want to go back to sleep. What if I dream again?" She said, breaking away from the hug.

"Dreams are dreams. You have to sleep Ashley if not you'll break down."

"Yeah, I guess I can suck it up and sleep." She said sadly.

"Check the time on your phone for me please."

"Like 1 am."

"You've been sleeping for a while then." He said.

"Yeah I have." What direction was this going to?

"We could go down and get some ice cream. That should cheer you up."

"But it's a school day." Ashley complained. "I won't wake up on time."

"Common live a little. I promise you that you will. I'll wake you up myself if you don't wake up. Plus I'm sure you will. You've slept for some time." Teddy said.

"It was an unrefreshing rest." Ashley replied dryly

"Hey if things go sideways and you want to skip school tomorrow you can call me." He added

"Really?"

"This privilege is only for tomorrow or days you're not feeling well. If you abuse it then that's the end you hear?" He scolded jokingly.

"Aye aye captain." She said in a tight but kind of happy tone.

They went downstairs to eat their ice cream in the dimly lit kitchen. Ashley did feel better from the cold relief of this sweet softness that was in her mouth. Teddy took the vanilla half of the ice cream while Ashley took the strawberry half.

"You know I'll never understand why you'd like vanilla. It's so plain." Ashley said before putting in a little spoon of the creamy relief into her mouth. "Strawberry on the other hand. That's a flavour."

"Vanilla is the plainest flavour that still tastes amazing." Teddy said.

"Well yeah." She replied. "That is true."

"Mmmhmm."

"What was up with you in the car yesterday?" Ashley asked casually. Teddy's face fell, looking immediately downcast.

"Oh so you noticed." He replied.

"Yeah, I always know when something is bothering you."

"Then why didn't you ask then."

"Because I was tired and you looked like you needed some time to yourself."

"Or because some daunting guy punched Tucker with lightening speed and you were too shocked to speak." The voice in Ashley's head said