𝔢𝔩𝔢𝔳𝔢𝔫

Corrine's heart stopped

Corrine's heart stopped. She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"What do you mean... a trap?" Her voice shook as the words exited.

Her eyes found the vacant spot on Bai's chest where his amulet used to hang. Bai could feel his stomach churning while tears built up in the rims of his eyes.

"I tried to stop them," he half sobbed. "But they broke me."

Corrine's chest burned at the sight of her once courageous and free spirited friend, who now resembled the horrifying things that people were capable of, corrupted from the roots, evil racing through their blood.

"Oh my gods, where is your amulet?" Eros asked.

"They took it in the woods. The only reason they took me and kept me alive is because they knew you were going to come for me."

"Morana has something to do with this," Corrine breathed.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

"Bai this is not your fa—"

"You have to leave right now! Before they come back!"

"Bai I'm not leaving you again," Andrea pleaded. "It's my fault you're here."

"An—"

"No, Bai! You're coming with us now!"

Andrea's ears perked up at the sound of boots of cobblestone, and it wasn't just one pair of boots...it was dozens.

"We have to leave now!"

Axel squeezed himself into the cell so that he could help Corrine carry Bai. Bai pushed his weak legs into the ground and slung himself over their shoulders. Eros unsheathed his sword and stood guard with Andrea, who already had an arrow loaded and ready, listening to the pounding steps that only grew louder by the second. Andrea's ear's focused on each hallway as she tried to find a way that was clear of guards. Her ears finally located a way that was almost empty. There were only a few guards but they could handle them. Her enhanced sight easily passed through the walls to locate a way out.