Chapter 18: checkmate

"That's her, the one who dethroned the jack."
"Woah didn't she get suspended, what is she doing here?"
Everyone in the hallways started muttering about Elia. She had become famous instantly after dethroning Blyke and students easily recognized her. Long silver hair and silver eyes, those were her unique features.
"How cool, I'm her fan."
Elia walked alone not minding the surrounding crowd.

A few moments ago
"Headmaster." Elia greeted as she entered his office.
"Why did you come here?" The headmaster asked.
"To thank you. You stopped the authorities from inquiring further about that person."
"You don't have to thank me, it was in the best interest of the school. However, stop dethroning the royals. You will just draw the attention of the authorities that way. If they find out tha-"
"Don't worry headmaster, the secret is only between the two of us." Elia interrupted, "Also, can i do one last thing before I leave?" A faint smile appeared on her lips.

Clusters of students began gathering at the field. They wanted to witness an epic battle between the King and the new "Jack".
"Holy shiet! Arlo's going to be dethroned!" Blyke exclaimed after hearing the news about the official challenge. He almost dropped his phone onto the his plate after reading the school forums. The cafeteria was almost empty as almost everyone rushed to watch the show.
"It's not certain yet. Arlo may be holding back when they fought before." Remi said critically.
"No...Arlo's not like that. He will never accept defeat." Isen said after thinking for awhile,
"Let's go. I want to watch this." Blyke stood up immediately.
"Me too." Remi stood up along with Blyke.

Arlo was looking and Elia. He couldn't figure out what she was thinking. Meanwhile, Elia had a thin and cruel smile on her lips.
"So? Have you recovered?" Elia raised an eyebrow at Arlo. Arlo winced as he remembered what happened after his fight with Elia. He did not even want to think about it.
"Was that your ability as well?" Arlo asked.
Elia nodded curtly.
"Shall we begin?" An excited look flashed accross Elia's face.
Arlo bit his lip. He did not have good feelings about the fight.
As the both of then activated their ability, the crowd immediately fell silent. It was incredibly tense.

Arlo materialized a golden barrier around Elia. He crumpled his hand into a fist and the barrier around Elia started shrinking.
Elia smirked. "This again?"
Elia materialized a giant ice sword to crack the barrier. But to her surprise, the barrier did not crack but continued to shrink.
"As expected, she still want to hide her powers." Arlo thought, feeling a little bit for confident now. Elia could have just frozen his barriers but she did not and that was to hide her power.
"What? Why didn't it crack?" Elia got flustered for a second. She materialized an even bigger ice sword but the barrier did not crack.
"What? Why is it not breaking?" Her eyes darted to Arlo who spitting out blood.
"I see." Elia smirked in realization. Arlo had materialized several layers of barrier. Elia had destroyed two of them, but she did not realize until a while ago.
"I have no interest in this anymore." Elia said boredly. "You are just going to injure yourself with a foolish tactic like this. I don't get tired easily if that's what you're planning." Elia told Arlo.
"Damn! She noticed!" Arlo clenched his fist in frustration. "It's over for me." Arlo thought as he looked over to Elia who was rapidly destroying his barriers. Arlo had lost a lot of blood by this point, he was already feeling dizzy and could barely stand straight. He used his last remaining energy to protect himself by creating a barrier around him.
Elia dashed forward with an ice sword in her hand and penetrated the barrier. Arlo felt as if he was being crushed into a million pieces.
"I've lost," he thought while his knees weakened and he dropped onto the ground. The sword in Elia's hand dissappeared but the hand itself began turning pale blue.
"Shit!" Arlo exclaimed as he attempted to dodge. As if Elia knew where he was going to dodge, her hand gripped onto Arlo's hands.
"Checkmate." Elia whispered.
Arlo's screams resonated. The onlookers were stunned unable to believe what they were seeing. Their mighty king had fallen.