Chapter 2

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

                                                                Chapter 2

           On the day Rowan and Clay flew to Japan, she went with a group of airmen and other soldiers.  Most of the servicemen were in uniform.  A TSA officer shook their hands as they were waiting to board their flight.  He thanked them for risking their lives to serve our country.

           Rowan took the TSA officer's hand.  "It's an honor, sir.  I'll defend this country to the day I die.  But all of you TSA officers are also risking your lives every day."

           "It's not the same thing at all.  Sure, there's always the chance that bad guys will choose to attack the airports.  In the military, though, many of you go into active war zones.  There's quite a difference between being in combat and being at risk.  I love to see all of you in uniform.  I also like to see all the returning vets on the honor flights.  In fact, we're waiting for one of those flights to come in right now, if you have time.  There's a big group of vets from World War II, Korea, and Vietnam due to arrive on a plane any minute now.   You'll see what I mean.  They all went out to see a memorial in Washington which was erected in their honor, and are coming home.  There's at least 50 of them."

           It was about an hour before Rowan's flight was ready to start boarding, so she and Clay stayed to watch the honor flight come in.  Clay stood excitedly by the window and watched as the plane taxied up to the jetway and the ground crew guided it in.  As they waited for the vets to start disembarking, Rowan pulled Clay into a chair with her and asked, "Did you know this is a very special airplane?"

           He patted her face.  "Spe-shul? Why, Mama?"

           "The people on that plane are older now, but when they were young, they fought in wars. They were protecting their family, friends, and country from bad guys who wanted to hurt them. It's the same thing Dada and I do.   They were fighting all the time, though.  We don't usually have to fight.  We should tell them thank you."

           "You and Dada get hurt?"

           "I hope not, Clay.  It could happen, though."

           "I not want you hurt."

           "I know.   We'll be careful.  Look, they're about to get off the plane now."  She pointed down the open jetway to where she could see an elderly gentleman being pushed in a wheelchair.  The wheelchair slowly progressed down the long hall and out into the airport concourse, followed by a line of wheelchairs.  Of those vets who weren't in wheelchairs, two out of three had walkers. They each had an escort.   Members of the honor guard were there to greet them, as well as a group of men wearing kilts and playing bagpipes.

           When the first vet entered the airport concourse, everyone in the area stood up and applauded.  This continued every time a vet came off the plane.  It was a very emotional experience, and by the time all of them had deboarded, Rowan and just about everyone present to watch were crying. Her emotions surfaced so easily lately. It was unusual for her.  She thought of all the hardships these great men had endured to protect their country and its citizens.  Many of them had suffered debilitating injuries and seen friends killed.