Chapter 20

Mankind faces a crossroads.  One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction.  Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly—Woody Allen.

                                      January 27, 2014

                                    Salt Lake City, Utah

            Vin took Rowan's hand as they walked down the normally quiet street towards his parent's house.  They'd left Topaz in a small cave in the woods, where no one would find him.  Rowan also put a protective shield over the cave, so anyone going near wouldn't see it.

            The closer they got to the house, the more nervous Vin became.  What could have happened to give him this feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach?  He turned the corner onto the street where his parents lived and immediately felt his stomach knots tighten even more. There was a police car parked in front of the house.  What the hell?   His steps quickened, and he dragged Rowan behind him.  They saw police officers patrolling the perimeter and speaking into their radios.  They walked up to the officers, trepidation on both of their faces.  An officer approached.  "May I help you with something, Sir?"

            Before Vin could answer, another officer started pelting questions at them.  "Who are you? Do you have ID on you?   Have you seen anyone else around here today?  What are you doing here?"

           The officer who had first spoken looked a little older.   He held up his hand to the younger officer to silence him, just as Vin said, "I live here!   At least, my parents do.  Who's the officer in charge here?"

            "That would be me, Sir, Sergeant Pelt.  I apologize for my partner, Officer Jones.  He's a rookie, and hasn't learned all the ropes yet.  This is your parent's house?"

            "Yes.  What's going on?  Is someone sick?   Was there an accident?  What are you doing here?"

           Vin quickly weighed in his head the possible dangers of letting anyone local know who he was.  He didn't want the Air force to know he was still alive.   He didn't know how many people around here knew about his disappearance, and then return.   His family and Amelia had been told of his MIA status of course, but he knew of no good reason to tell his ex-wife he was back, and they'd told the children not to tell her, at least not while the rebellion was going on.   There had been no official notice of his death, since his body was never found.   The neighbors had probably known he was missing, but there should be no way for law enforcement to know, nor reason for them to verify with the Air Force.

           He reached in his pocket for the I.D. he'd used to get his marriage license, at the same time glancing over at Rowan, who nodded imperceptibly.  Though she looked as terrified as he felt, this was necessary.

           "Captain Vin Frost, U.S. Air Force.  This is First Lieutenant Rowan Frost, also of the Air Force. I'm here to see my parents.  What's happening here?"

          The cop nodded, handing him back the I.D. after glancing briefly at it.   "So you're the son."

           "I'm the...what the hell?  All due respect, Sir, but do you mind telling me what's going on?" The cops looked at each other, and the sergeant said, "We're running an investigation.  Perhaps it would be best to let your parents tell you."  To another cop by the door, he called, "It's the son. Let him in."  Vin cast another furtive glance at Rowan, who gave him a puzzled look back.  He went up the walk, pulling his wife behind him, pushed by the cop at the front door, and entered the house, calling out, "Mom!  Dad!  What's going on here?"