Chapter 19

No matter how fast you run, you can't escape your own fear. The only way to beat it is to face it.--Bushmaster, from Of Mice and Magic

                                                       December 22, 2013

                                                       Washington State

           Rowan woke disoriented.  She remembered hazily her time with Vin the night before and smiled.  What a fantastic dream!  She rolled over, and luxuriously stretched, thinking, Oh please, just a few more minutes before I have to get up and rejoin the troops.  As she pulled the blanket more tightly around her, it occurred to her that the bed was far warmer and softer than she remembered.   That was strange.  The pallets were hard, and there were no sheets.   She pulled down the blanket and looked out.  She was in a large room with wooden walls.   There was a fireplace in one wall, with a merrily blazing fire, which explained the warmth.  She saw a window, out of which snow was falling thickly.   Wait a minute, she thought.

            She sat up and looked over at the other side of the big bed she now saw she'd been sleeping in.  There was Vin, sound asleep right next to her.  It wasn't a dream after all.  Oh, heavenly day!   I'm finally with the man I've loved for years.   This is real.  He's here.   I'm here. We're married!   I'm Rowan Frost.  Mrs. Vin Frost.  I can hardly believe it.   Is this really real?   She pinched herself and felt a sharp pain.  It must be real.

           She lay in bed a long while, smiling and feeling content.   She thought back to their antics of the night before and felt even more blissful.   Her new husband was a skilled and passionate lover.   She could definitely get used to nights like that.  She wished they could stay here forever, and just forget about the rest of the world.   Oh, well.   Real life would intrude soon enough. For now, they had this time together, all alone, snowed in for weeks in a cabin, with plenty of food and warmth.

           Vin rolled over right then and opened his eyes.   He smiled at her.  "Buen día, mi amor.  It sure is a beautiful day."

           "Yes.  I love you."  She covered his hand with hers.

           He pulled her over and kissed her.   "I don't know about you, but I'm ready for some more action."

           Just the thought stirred her insides.  "Oh hell yes, Mr. Frost.  Bring it on."

           "Yes, Lieutenant."

           He made love to her yet again.   After, she lay in his arms with her head on his chest while he stroked her hair, and said, "I'll tell you one thing, Vinnie Frost.  You sure do know how to pleasure your wife."

           He grinned.   "That's just part of the package.  You're not so bad yourself."

           "I hope we have a lot of years like this."

           "Me, too."

           They slept again, tangled in each other's arms.

                                                **************