Back to Square One (Impersonating Rain Cornelis)

Whilst I was seated in the car, driving back to the airport, I didn't exactly feel like myself. My moment with Bradley Niemann was amazing. Never the less, I couldn't believe that I actually revealed my insecurity of crying to him. Even though it was only a few hours ago, it feels so childish of me. But I was caught in the moment. Admitting to myself in any case that my parents didn't love me was a heart ache.

For the first time in my life, I felt something like freedom. I could roam the world and even though I had to sleep in the bus bay for the one night, I was sure that if I found a job or something, my life would be so much better. I wish that I was free, but now that I tasted a little freedom, I knew what to yearn for.

I was glad I went to the show grounds to spectate Bradley's first flight and even though it was because of the very fact that I went there that I am caught now, it was okay. The part that stained my heart was that I refused to take his hand. What must he think of me? It's not that I didn't trust him, but I guess I was a little afraid. I can admit, that I had trust issues, it took a lot of me to trust someone and I wish I took his hand back then...to show him that I trusted him.

He was...I guess what people called a friend. Definitely nothing more. Perhaps if I took his hand, I would never have been caught now. Well, point was, I was caught and for the first time running away, I didn't know what the heck would be up my path back at the foster home.

We stopped at the airport and the whole ride was silent, quiet and outstandingly awkward. When we stopped, I just sat in the car. Miss Goudy was next to me and I was just staring down. After some time I looked up at her and she squinted her eyes at me.

"I got my eyes on you." She said. She opened the car door and we both walked into the airport. I didn't intend to say sorry, there was nothing I could say.

We entered the airport and she told me to queue up on one of the lanes to purchase a ticket. And of course, it wasn't a ticket from her money, it was from my own savings. When I closed my eyes I could still hear Bradley calling my name.

"Rain!" He would say. I would turn around and there he would be smiling. "Let me fly you." He'd say.

Augh, whatever. The only reason why I was fond of Bradley was because he was the first one to call me a friend, someone who cared. Even if I was childish enough to cry in front of him...he actually tried to comfort me...he actually cared not that I was crying, no for a change he cared why I was crying.

I was really praying that he was there at the airport or at least his Uncle. This really sucked and I couldn't stand looking at the foster home again.

Boarding the plane, was...to be honest a horrible nightmare. I felt kind of scared, frightened and a little alarmed. Who knew what dangers could be found sitting next to Miss Goudy for 2 full hours. It would be a complete nightmare.

Snoring...aha why wasn't I surprised. Two hours in the plane sitting next to the meanest person in the entire world just to hear her snoring in my ear. It sure felt way longer than just 2 hours and it was so incredibly boring.

When we landed, I knew that chaos was to begin. She was probably going to punish me or something for a whole lifetime, well at least the lifetime that I was going to stay at the foster home. Coming out of the gates of the plane, I saw that queue, the one that was going back to Bertusberg. It was that very queue where I saw Bradley for the first time. My heart was grieving and pain struck my body. I might have never seen him again, so there was one of my very first friends gone. I guess I was fond of him over the fact of his caring heart but never the less, it was over.

We drove towards the foster home which was in one of the bad corners of the town. The road was trashed, the place felt deserted, and it had the sense of depression. Miss Goudy threw me into the house and all the girls inside started laughing at me. I felt bruised, I might have never shown it, but my heart was blistered.