Under Foster Roof (Impersonating Rain Cornelis)

16 years later...

"Rain Cornelis." Said one of the head mistress that was in one of the office.

"Coming Miss Goudy." I called back. The harsh Mistress that owned the foster home was calling my name. For the exact reasons, it was precautiously unknown. But one thing that was for sure, when she called anyone's name, it was always for the unpleasant reasons.

I got in front of the door and knocked softly. "May I come in?" I asked.

"Yes Rain, I called you didn't I?" She hissed. Rolling my eyes, I learned to brush off the harshness. I've been in foster care for 16 years, I was used to Miss Goudy's harsh treatment.

"One of the foster kids is ill at the basement, some of the staff members told me that you had something to do with the result of putting substances in the food." Said Miss Goudy. I stood back and breathed down slightly.

That was right, I was probably the most innocent in the foster home, perhaps even more innocent than Miss Goudy her very self, but I was always the one being accused of...well literally everything. Somehow, the people around the foster care wasn't always too friendly.

"I had nothing to do with it Miss Goudy, I promise I..." I tried explain when Miss Goudy stopped me.

"Spare it," She hissed at me. "But I can assure you that if it ever happens again that we find you at the cafeteria or near any student with an unknown substance, you will be punished." Said Miss Goudy.

"Yes ma'am, sorry ma'am." I nodded my head.

"Oh and by the way, a couple of parents is coming over later this afternoon looking for a decent girl to adopt...early teens they say. I suggest you head to your room and get yourself cleaned up, you'll perhaps this time have a chance of getting out of here, and I say good riddance." She picked up a paper and stared at it. "Do not mess it up this time." She gave a stare that could send shivers round your back spine.

"Yes ma'am, will do." I said still with my head down. "May I leave?" I asked.

"Oh for goodness sakes Rain, yes you may leave, does it look like I am talking right now?" She asked. I didn't say anything and went out the door. Though she was stern and many times very unpleasant towards me, her harshness couldn't come close to wounding my blistered heart. Yes, my heart was damaged, scarred and blistered, but she wasn't the reason and she couldn't come close to the reasons why it was what it was.

It was scarred deep and worst part was that, until I found out exactly what happened to my birth parents, my wounded scar would never heal. No one could tell me anything, for all that I know was that my parents gave me up for adoption simply because I wasn't good enough or at least it had to be something like that. Well, for all I knew that is what Miss Goudy told me, but as usual, I never take her words as granted.

That afternoon as I cleaned myself up but as usual the thoughts of my birth parents crept into my mind again, it was actually becoming a habit every time I found myself alone.

It was strange and hurting to me, for they didn't leave me anything. It was strangely different to me because all the foster kids had something of their parents, but not me. I stood out in the foster home like a sore thumb. I always encouraged myself that it was because I was the smartest around. I picked up old encyclopedias and thesaurus and dictionaries and I read, and study hard so that if by per chance I found a new home, I would prove to my new parents that I am worth it and they wouldn't throw me out for not being good enough.

I had no clue why no one wanted to adopt me. There was countless of kids that left the foster home and there was countless of parents that took a look at me and just passed on. Some would take notice, but then Miss Goudy would tell them something behind my back that would kind of scare them away. I don't know, all I know for certain is that wherever I went or whoever came to the foster home, I could never be good enough.