Chapter Nine

When they got to Atlantis, Sophie lead Fitz over to the shop that sold Memory Logs. She told him to wait outside. She went inside and took a large empty frame and bought it and projected her memory of her and Fitz under Calla's Panakes Tree. She asked the elf at the register to wrap it. When he came back it was wrapped perfectly in silver paper. Sophie thanked him and headed outside to give it to Fitz.

She walked over to the bench that Fitz was sitting on and told him, "Biana told me that you would like this."

She handed him the silvery wrapped packaged and he opened it and smiled as he saw the memory she projected. "Sophie, this is perfect. I'm going to put this in my room as soon as I get back to Everglen." Sophie couldn't help but smile. 

"Hey Sophie," he waited for her to look at him, "Level Six Projeties have the mid-term dance in a couple of weeks, would you go with me?"

"Of course, Fitz. Who else would I go with?"

"I don't know I just thought it would be good to figure it out, now."

"Fitz, can I ask you something I really would like to know?"

"Of course, Sophie."

"If I can't figure out who my biological Dad is and my biological mom you know stays where she is, would it matter to you if we were a bad match? It's okay if it isn't, I'm just wondering,"

"Sophie, I've been thinking about that and the truth is, it wouldn't matter to me. I would rather be matched, but if we're not, that's okay."

"Oh wow, Fitz." she gasped and he pulled her into a tight hug. She knew how important matchmaking was to Fitz, but he had decided it matter to him anymore because of her. He whispered to her, "I love you, I'd do anything for you. You're beautiful, talented, brave, and perfect. You probably don't believe me, but that's okay. Maybe someday you will believe me. I know this whole dating thing is hard on you, and I know our friends aren't taking it very well, but I'm here for you. I'll always be. I love you, Sophie."

Tears were pouring down Sophie's face, "Wow," was all she could say and when she looked up at him he leaned forward and kissed her. She looked into his eyes and saw something in them that even she couldn't deny. At that moment she forgot about everything else. She had to remind herself that this was actually happening. This guy whom she had a crush on as soon as she first saw him was kissing her. Now she knew why everyone was saying that they were perfect together. They really were.

After what felt like forever, Fitz pulled away. He helped Sophie up off the bench and led her down the street wrapping his fingers around her hand. He turned left and took her down the path towards the Matchmakers. They stood there and stared at the glittering building.

"Sophie, I want you to know that I'm not going into that building until you're ready. Okay? I'm not going to pick up my lists until I'm sure you're on them. I want you to know that. I need you to believe me when I say this; It doesn't matter."

Sophie smiled, "I believe you, Fitz. You don't have to worry either. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about what Grady will say about us." 

Fitz smiled and told her, "If you need me, I'll come to Havenfield with you. Actually, you know what I'll come even if you don't need me to. I know he has never liked the idea of you and I dating, so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes rage mode on you."

"Me neither. We should probably go tell him before it gets late."

When they arrived at Havenfield Grady was in the pastures. When he saw Sophie and Fitz he glared at them and walked over towards them. 

Fitz offered his shoulder, and Sophie gratefully leaned on it. He wrapped her in a tight hug just before Grady got to them.

He looked at them intently examining their hug and obviously interested in the fact that Sophie was wearing her nicest dress. He observed them for a little longer before he said, "What's going on here?"