Chapter Eight

When they arrived at Foxfire, they all headed towards the Level Four Hallway to find Sophie's locker and schedule. She saw she had a new locker that was right next to Fitz's and Keefe's was across the hall.

The group went down to morning announcements together and stood among the Level Fours. Sophie felt out of place now. Yesterday, it was where she belonged. Today, it was her past. She ignored the pointing of many people. She was used to it. It happened all the time now. 

Fitz squeezed her hand as the morning announcements began. Magnate Leto's voice came from somewhere. Sophie was only half paying attention to it, until it said, "Congratulations, to Miss Sophie Foster on being promoted from Level Four to Level Six."

Everyone's eyes seemed to turn towards her. She looked at the ground nervously. Fitz put his other hand on her shoulder and whispered, "It's going to be okay. It's nothing to be ashamed about."

The announcements ended and Sophie, Fitz, and Keefe headed towards the Level Six Hallway while Dex, Biana, Tam, and Lihn headed for the Level Fout Hallway. Sophie grabbed her books and headed off to the Silver Tower for her Linguistics session with Lady Cadence-Talle with Fitz next to her. Keefe headed off to his Empathy Sessions in the opposite direction.

Breaking the silence, Fitz asked, "What's it like doing sessions in the Silver Tower?"

Sophie shrugged, "It's a long walk and the sessions themselves are terrible. I swear Lady Cadence tries to make them awful. I can't mimic and it makes her mad. Keefe would be good at it though. I've tried to get him to teach me."

"I'm sorry, at least we have Telepathy in the afternoon!"

"Yeah...It's the only ability class that's fun. Inflicting is awful though."

They arrived at the Silver Tower. She could tell Fitz was excited. They licked the DNA sensor which was thankfully a good flavor being mallowmelt. The door opened and Sophie lead Fitz to the room that Lady Cadence taught her in.

The entire Linguistics lesson was overall better with Fitz there, but when she received her homework her good mood was gone. Fitz didn't seem to notice the amount of homework though. After the class, he said, "I can see why you hate it, at least she didn't give us a lot of Homework."

"What?" Sophie said, "She gave like 3 times the usual amount of homework she normally does."

"Oh..yeah, I forgot you get a lot more homework in Level Six than you do in Level Four. You'll get used to it, though."

They walked down to lunch together. Sophie was still dreading the homework she knew was coming. When they got to the table Biana asked, "How was it?"

"Terrible," Sophie said at the same time as Fitz said, "Amazing."

"Umm..." Biana told them, "Why?"

"She gave us so much homework and Fitz told me that it was a little amount for Level Six. I'm not going to be doing anything else but homework" Sophie explained.

Fitz explained, "It's amazing that she can speak in all those different languages. Plus, she can mimic anyone's voice."

"Uhh...Fitz, I failed my last mimicking exam." She reminded him, "I'm terrible. Lady Cadence keeps telling me that."

"Well, I think it's amazing," he told her flashing one of his perfect smiles, and Sophie would have melted into a pile of mush except that he grabbed her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. 

Keefe sat down next to Biana. Tam and Lihn came down to sit at the table. Then Dex. There was an awkward silence and the Keefe said, "Foster can you stop dreading whatever you are dreading because I can feel it from here and there is a lot of it. "