Chapter Ten

Fitz arrived at Havenfield early the next morning. Sophie took him up to her room and had him sit down on her bed before giving him his present.

When he opened it up he smiled one of his perfect smiles. He pulled her into a hug and slipped the ring on his finger. Sophie did the same.

"Thank you, Sophie. This is perfect. It's amazing."

Sophie only replied by pulling him into an even tighter hug. "Everyone's at Everglen. Biana's working it out for us, that's why I came here. I thought it would be better if we weren't there when it happened. We spent all night planning it out."

"You did? Wow. That's.....amazing."

Fitz smiled, "It's no problem. I've already finished my linguistics homework, and I didn't know what to do."

"I haven't even started my homework. I was going to do it this morning. Can you give me a second to get dressed?"

She pulled on her Uniform and headed towards her bathroom. "You can come in now Fitz, I'm only doing my makeup."

He came into the bathroom. "Wow, you have so much makeup. Biana would be jealous. You should use the silver eyeshadow lightly."

"Okay, I can try that." She brushed the silver sparkles on her eyelids. "Wow you were right, how did you know?"

"I live with Biana, remember."

"Yeah," she said while putting on her lipstick carefully. "Okay, I'm done. What should we do?"

"You haven't done your linguistics homework yet, so let's do that."

"Okay, but you finished already so that's going to be boring for you."

"I don't care."

Sophie pulled out her homework. They spent the next hour translating passages into ogre, trollish, and all kinds of languages. Fitz told her that it took him about 4 hours to do it because he had to look it all up.

"You know, next time just come over here and I can help you. I'm a polyglot remember?"

"Wow, why didn't I think of that? I'm totally doing that next time."

"You better because we have midterms soon and you are going to have to work on it so let me help you."

"Okay, next week I'm coming over." 

Fitz's imparter rang with a call from Biana. He accepted it and her face popped up on the screen.

"Hey, Fitz! I talked to them. It's almost time to go now. Are you at Havenfield?"

"Yes, he is," Sophie said, "He picked out my makeup. He actually did pretty.

"Wow, Fitz! You're picking out my makeup tomorrow unless that something you're only doing for Sophie. Anyway, I'm going to Foxfire now. See you there!"

She hung up. Fitz turned to her, and he said, "time to go I guess." 

He held his crystal up to the light and grabbed Sophie's hand and stepped into the light with her.

When they arrived Fitz told her, "It's okay to be nervous. Biana and I tried really hard to make it work but I can't guarantee it will. I'm nervous too."

When they headed towards the swarm of green uniforms. Fitz squeezed her hand tightly. They found the group. Keefe stuck out in his white uniform and Sophie was sure she and Fitz did too.

Keefe noticed them first, "Oh look, it's Fitzphie." He made a lot of puckering noises. 

Sophie was glad Keefe was back to himself even though she knew he would tease them as long as she and Fitz were together.

"I'm sorry for being such a jerk to you guys." Tam said while staring at his feet, "I'm really happy for you two."

"It's okay," Sophie told him, "I understand and we probably shouldn't have made a big deal about it either." She felt happier than she had in days, finally she at least one friend back and that was definitely a start. 

Lihn came over next to Sophie and said, "I'm super sorry about how he's acting. He had a huge crush on you before he left to join the Neverseen. Actually, he had a crush on you since the day he met you, to be honest. He just is disappointed that you like Fitz and not him. Although, he's kind of crushing on Biana too so he says that he has it the best."

"It's okay, you don't have to apologize." She told Lihn, "Tell him I think they would be a great couple."

Magnate Leto's voice boomed overhead, and as soon as it was over Fitz dragged Sophie over towards Physical Education. Sophie was very clumsy. It had never been her best subject either.

"Remember when you beat me in the Splotching Match on your first day?"

"That was only because I slammed you into a wall, and still feel pretty bad about that."

"You still beat me, anyway I wonder what we are doing today."

Sophie groaned. "I don't know. Everyone laughs at me this period. I mean seriously like why did the Black Swan make me so clumsy."

"I don't know, but I promise I won't laugh at you."

"Keefe probably will."

"I'll tell him not to. Anyway, if it's Splotching you're going to make us all look bad."

"Keefe's pretty good, he did teach me a couple of things though. I'll teach you later."

"Sounds like I have a lot to learn."

They walked into Physical Education together and Sophie went to the girls' rooms while Fitz went into the boys' rooms. Sophie reached down to feel the ring on her finger, the one that she had given Fitz this morning, and told herself that today she was going to do well.

She found Fitz waiting outside the door looking adorably excited. "It's splotching today. Keefe and I have a bet. I told him if you win he has to shave his head, and if Keefe wins then I'll shave mine."

"Uh...guys. Not happening. I like your guy's hair the way it is so betting is off."

Keefe groaned, "Seriously Foster, it's hair. It will grow back quickly anyway."

"No. Guys, how hard am I going to have to whack you to get you guys to stop?"

"Okay, we get it, Sophie. Sorry, Keefe, betting is off." Fitz turned to smile at her. She gave him a smile in return.

"Come on Fitzy, it will be fun. We can do something else." Sophie groaned, but Keefe ignored her, "I'll color my hair pink for a day if Sophie wins, and you can color your hair blue for a day if I win."

"Deal." 

"Wait, guys, this is so not happening"

"Yeah, it is Foster. I could totally rock pink hair, you know that right?"

Sophie rolled her eyes. She was sure he could, but even though they didn't have Foxfire tomorrow she couldn't help thinking how embarrassing it would be for Fitz.

She was saved from the conversation when Sir Harding told everyone it was time to start. Sophie paired up with Keefe. Within seconds she had won. She moved on to face Fitz. Within seconds she won again.