5

Jin looks over at the clock on the wall before leaning over and turning up my treadmill. "I'm not even breathless," I say as I go from a slow jog to a run. Tomorrow marks the one month anniversary of me becoming a vampire and we've been working out.

    Jin is trying to help me train and we are working at running at vampiric speed. He said that he needs to test how long I can run at a human speed before he tries any other speed. After a few more minutes doing that he has me move the the punching bag to work on form. Jin holds it while I send punches to it. "More power," he calls out. I hit it hard and harder making him laugh. I frown at him giving him a sassy look.

"You're a vampire Vanya, use your strength. Muster all the anger you have in you and drive your fist through this bag."

"I don't have anger."

"Oh come on, your boyfriend treated you like shit. Your parents didn't do anything to stop him. They let you leave with him, knowing how he treated-"

"Jin stop," I mutter but he keeps rambling on. A fierce anger bubbles in my chest before I let out a scream and punch the bag. There's a loud clatter as Jin and the bag fly back. "Are you okay?" I ask run over to him. He toss the bag off him with a groan. He shakes his hair out.

"I'm good, that was good," he groans while I help him up. He gives me a reassuring smile while patting my shoulder but I don't miss the weird glint in his eyes. We spend another few hours going over sparring techniques and how to use my abilities. He tries his best to show me the examples for what he teaches me. Once we finish and are back in the apartment, the gym is in the basement of the building, we sit down at the table where he gives me a glass with blood.

"What would happen if I went in the sun before the end of my first year?" I ask as he plops back down.

Jin glances at me before looking at his own glass. "Well, it's the only time it can physically hurt you. After the year, like Uther explained, it will only be severely uncomfortable with probable temporary blindness until you build a tolerance for it."

"How long did it take you to get used to it?"

"I'm still adjusting some. I've only been a vampire for eight years and I spent three being completely nocturnal. So five years being a day walker. Some covens are strictly nocturnal though," he explains getting a lost look on his face. He starts to play with his fingers in thought.

"Why'd he turn you?" I whisper hoping that I'm not overstepping. Uther still hasn't explained why he turned me but if I knew why he turned everyone else I may end up finding out why he turned me. Was it pity?

  Jin shuffles around in his chair uncomfortably until he nods his head. It's like he is having a mental debate with himself. He's obviously has gotten nervous unsure if he wants to answer. "My birth father would pimp my little sister out and beat me. He got drunk and killed her, beat her to death and started to work on me. Uther came in, he was too late for her but not for me. He gave me a new family and the ability to protect them." His explanation is short and his tone cracks when he talks. I don't push him for more, knowing that is all he can say without reliving all those horrid memories. I slowly reach across the table and grab his hand. He squeezes mine back giving me a pity smile as a tear rolls down his face. "Uther and you guys are all that matters to me. That's why it's important that you train, so if I can't be there you can protect yourself."

"And I'm thankful that you are willing to teach me," I say giving him a smile. 

He stands up ruffling my hair. "I think tomorrow I'll teach you how to handle a dagger."

  And he is true to his word. He took me to one of his friends gyms that normally closes at night but he let Jin in whenever. We've been working for a few hours, him teaching me how to properly handle the weapon and the stances I would need to use. Jin is actually a good instructor. He's patient and considerate but yet thorough.

  It feels natural to be honest. Everything he shows me, the moves, the grips, all of it seems to come almost second nature to me and I can tell Jin has picked up on it. He'll complement me but then get this thousand yard stare. It makes me feel uneasy, like he's hiding something. Maybe he just knows why Uther has turned me. Maybe it is the pity route and that's why he's surprised I caught on so quickly.

  I mean, I am surprised with myself as well. I have never been in a fight or have been taught how to protect myself, I had Caleb for that. Now it seems as if my body refuses not to know how to protect itself. Being a vampire has altered me in ways I never thought it would which scares me.