22. Stage

(Byul pov.):

Me and Yeong stand on the stage.

"What is your concept?" asks the manager.

"The power of friendship," Yeong says firmly.

"Quite an.. unusual theme for a duel."

Hyejin and Wheein walk on the stage and take place next to us.

"It's not a duel," Hyejin says. "Music!"

"I'm ready for some action... Are you ready for perfection?"

And we start. They sing. I rap. We dance. I find myself enjoying the stage more than ever before.

"Hey, piano man!"

Because we are all together. I notice their faces. So im not the only one having a great time.

It's a song we wrote together, as well as we did the choreo, the concept, everything. It wasnt so hard, since we basically just adjusted a song Hyejin with Wheen wrote some time ago. It was supposed to be their duet. But as a song for four, it hits differently.

"Let us introduce ourselves."

"Hwasaaa." Hyejin.

"Solar." Yeong.

"Wheein." Guess who.

"Moonbyul."

I realize I feel comfortable in front of the audience, because I know those three are behind my back. I smile and wink to the camera.

Go ahead, judges. Hate us, fire us, yell at us for breaking the rules. But you cant deny that this is the greatest stage you've seen on this show.

And most importantly... you can never take away what we have.

"Yeah!"

Final pose.

We're all laughing. We know this might be our end. We might have nothing to lose. So why not to risk and enjoy it the most.

The room fills with clapping. Judges, in shock, clap too. The audience wheezes.

We bow and stand in the front, so we can hear the evaluation.

"This was... unexpected, "says the first one.

"You broke the rules."

"You did not follow the task."

"This show is not your personal playground."

"You should be eliminated."

Audience boos. But not at us. At the judges.

The CEO sits silent, when finally he speaks up.

"Mamamoo?"

We look at one another. 

"Yes," Yeong says. "That is how we call ourselves. The four of us as a group. We won't go against each other. Ever."

"Very well, then... You may move to the waiting room now.

And so we do.