Chapter 19

The morning after, Emilio and Remy got up early to meet James at the entrance of the camp. When they got there, James was rounding up his bags. Emilio cleared his throat.

James lifted his head, grinning. "Guess this is it huh?" It was a rhetorical question. Without saying anything Emilio pulled him into a goodbye hug.

"Take care dude." Emilio whispered, patting his back. After Emilio pulled back, Remy wrapped her arms around James. She closed her eyes taking in his comfy touch. Remy leaned back, keeping her hand on his shoulder.

She gestured for Emilio to join in. "Come on. Group hug."

Emilio beamed, closing the hug. They rocked back and forth, playfully. The beep of a car sounded in the distance. Once again they pulled away. James heaved a sigh, lugging his bags up.

"We've gotta hang out after summer. After all we live near each other right?" James suggested.

"For sure," Emilio said.

"Duh" Remy agreed, waving. James gave them a salute and pivoted around. Suddenly he halted.

"Oh wait." He remembered. "When I was in the water......" Emilio and Remy eyed each other, then back at James. They both nodded, beckoning him to go on.

"A....hand was dragging me down. It was drowning me." Once he said it out loud, he regretted it. James sheepishly looked down.

"I know it sounds crazy," He added, noticing their bewildered faces. Emilio stopped him with his hand.

"No it's not crazy. It's creepy though." He scratched the back of his head. Remy was trying to comprehend what he said. A hand?

"I mean there's a murderer in this camp. It's really creepy.....but why you?" Remy thought out loud. James shrugged.

"I kinda killed the mood huh?"

Emilio and Remy nodded. "Don't worry about it. Go" She assured him, waving him off. James agreed, saying a final goodbye again. He ran over to the car, pulling open the trunk.

He heaved the bags in, slamming it shut. He took another glance at Emilio and Remy. James gave them a bittersweet smile, which they returned.

The engine of the car started up again, making a revving sound. It bolted off, leaving a puff of smoke behind.Emilio stared off in the car's course.

"And gone, gone he goes...." He said. Remy clapped his back, slowly walking back to camp.

"And back to the camp where a murderer roams." Remy half-joked, half-serious. Emilio caught up with her, nudging her shoulder.

"Don't joke about that. We're gonna find out who it is." He replied, determined. Remy eyed him thoughtfully.

"It's always someone you least expect...."

Emilio agreed with her. Out of the corner of her eye, Remy spotted Dario. He stood in front of his cabin, watching everyone playing around.

"You know what? I gotta check on someone, I'll catch you later." Remy told Emilio.

"Okay see ya" He turned away from her. Remy sprinted over to Dario. When he saw her figure running over to him, he groaned.

Dario covered his face, attempting to walk away. "Wait Dario!" Remy caught up with him. He took his hand away from his face, grimacing.

"Why can you never me alone?" Dario snarled. Despite his rudeness, Remy forced herself to smile.

"Oh please. I only came up to you like twice. Plus you were the one who came up to me, that time in the woods." She pointed out. He grunted. Remy crossed her arms, scrutinizing him.

"Okay why don't you like me? I know I annoy you but do you seriously not like me for my personality?" She rambled on. "Cause I have a great personality, if you really got to know me."

Dario walked up the steps of his cabin, pausing to sit on the the top step. Remy did the same. "Why would u want to get to know you? I don't want to get to know anybody here." He replied.

"Then why are you at this summer camp? You obviously have no friends. No offense though." She added.

He didn't seem bothered. He simply shrugged, not answering. He dropped his head, thinking over something. Remy watched him, carefully.

"Actually come with me. I have something to show you." A dark smile loomed across his face.

Author's note:
Uh oh. What does Dario want to show Remy?