III

Everything happens for a reason. Life offers a lot of chances. They are everywhere. But it only takes one to change your whole life. Some already got twice or more and that is what we called a miracle. Sometimes, they are not happy with their miracle, and I am one of them.

"I told you I don't need one."

"Yes, you do William. I will hire one person to look after you while I am gone."

I began to feel like I am about to explode. My Mom and I are never that close. Who is she to decide whether I need a personal assistant? I survived three whole fcking years without help from other people. Let alone those two pesky bodyguards. But yeah, I need them. Of course, some of you would say, 'Don't talk that way to your mother.' or 'You don't have the right to say that to her. Respect!'

But that's not how it works in this house. In my house. My Mom was a great Mom, to be honest. But after Dad died from the accident, she began to act like I was the reason he died. I homeschooled and graduated from college, enough to take the highest position in the marketing industry recently. I am so thankful that despite the death of my father, he was working out my future the whole waking days. We were not rich, nor poor. We belonged to the middle-class family but soon after I graduate, and Dad's friend took me under his wing I never wasted a time to build an empire with my name written on it.

"Oh trust me, I am the one with the good eye."

Ok, as mentioned, I got involved in a car accident obviously with my Dad when I was 22 years old. The year when I was on my greatest success. I graduated, ended up with a job and then he died. It's as if his only mission is just to ensure my future. Mom was just there watching him being laid in the coffin to the mortuary with dry cheeks. How would I know? Jayson my bulky butler told me. And at that time, I can't contain the pain that I felt. From the moment I opened my eyes, all I saw was darkness. A nerve was damaged from the impact. Almost one year of rest and therapy being away from stress and work has been my biggest downfall. So, I bought my own house in the middle of the woods where no one would see me. I was told by the Chairman that I can still take the position and could work at home taking calls and video/audio conferencing with the help of my private secretary which resigned just a month ago. Nice one, right?

It's been three years. Three years of coping with darkness. Three years of living under the four-walled mansion, the same voices, and the same smell. "You may now go, Mom. I have a meeting later with the investors. And oh, trust me... you don't know if what you're seeing is true. You don't have any idea what is happening to me." I smiled turning away with my cane to my room. I hate the smell of her perfume. It's suffocating me.

The deal between me and my Mom is if she will decide to move to Paris as I told her to, I will get myself a special babysitter. Yeah, I call a personal assistant a baby sitter. Funny right? It's as if her absence would change a thing.

"Do you need anything, Sir?"

Jayson and Cole are my butlers. They are more than enough for me. I don't need an additional person tailing behind me. I don't have eyes, but my limbs were still intact, got it?

"Just escort her out of my house. Make sure to lock the door. And track her flight schedule, and please... let her get in the plane and leave this town."

My room is probably the largest of all the rooms. Rain began to pour outside and how I love the sound of it splattered on the window sill and how it smelled.

"Sir, excuse me."

Annie, the head of all housemaids. I remembered how she took care of me when Mom was out with her friends drinking, playing pokers. Man, she was wasted back then.

"Come in, Annie." I can smell my favorite tea and how it instantly lifts my mood.

"Your tea, Sir. Drink this before it gets cold."

Her voice quivers maybe because of her age. She is old enough to forget where she puts certain things. Maybe it's time to let her stop working and be with her family.

"What do you think? About my Mom's offer. Please don't say yes."

Her laughter echoed the room along with the creaking sound of the rattan chair. That chair is her favorite spot. She became my second Mom when my real Mom was too busy to be a Mom. Well.

"Son, to be honest... I think it's the best thing you could do. For the first time, she does makes sense."

"Do you think so?" Just before she could answer, my phone rang with Betty the obnoxious Chairman's secretary reporting something Chairman has told me to do."
Then the door bell rang.
"I'll get it." Annie strides away with the rustling of her skirt before closing the door.

The ginger tea tastes good, especially in this weather. It's already mid-September, the month of the rainy season. A season that I love, but mostly hate because it reminds me of how unsettling my situation is. I have all the money, big house, properties, cars, and golden credit cards but it's not enough to live a fulfilling life. I would rather live my old life more than this huge house with no sight at all. A huge part of me is missing and I think nothing could ever make feel like the old me.

A voice interrupted me in my reverie with a knock on the door.

"Yes?"

"Sir. We have a visitor. A very unusual visitor, might I add." Humor laced on Annie's voice.

A visitor? I don't remember inviting the investors at this hour.

"Who is he?" I turned around, cane clicking on the marbled floor.

"A 'she', Sir."

"That would probably the answer to your questions son." Annie chuckled as she guides me towards the door.

A/N: Got no time to edit, please bear with the grammar. LOL