XVI

"Financial Statement?" I blurted staring on the papers Cole laid in front of me. Mr. William has gone to the terrace to talk to some investors and he said he doesn't want to be interrupted.

"I have no idea what is that, but all I can see are numbers and I guess, it's a Financial Statement."

"Cole, you are not helping.'' I glared at him earning a laugh from him. Cole arranges the papers, and I settled my laptop and he helped me connect with the internet. Numerous emails and continous ping of his emails interrupted me from staring at the papers in front of me.

"Okay, I'll get going then Ms. Jessica. Call me if you need some help." Cole waved goodbye with a soft thud of the door closing.

"What am I going to do with this?" I mumbled and scratched my head in confusion. I have never handled Finances ever in my whole life. Especially the finances of a large company.

"You're right, that's the Financial Statement of the company. I just want you to compile them from the year the company started up to date. You can also encode them in your files for future reference."

"In this case, I will be working until 12 midnight." I mumbled and sighed and started working my ass off.

Mr. William is still talking to someone over the phone. I tried to eavesdrop but I respect his privacy when it comes to business but I guess, he will tell me eventually since I'm his secretary right? I buried myself on working with the Financial Statement and that was the last thing I remembered. I jolted awake and surprised that the room is pitch black. Checking the time, I groaned with the slight hurt on my neck and it's past midnight already. A blanket was thrown over me and my laptop beeped indicating the need for a recharge. Mr. William is no longer in sight but the window behind his table is still open. The curtain is swaying with the wind, cold breeze instantly hitting my face. We are truly in the month of December. I can't wait for the snow, so I tried stepping to the terrace outside. The sight is what mesmerized me. I tried to calm myself from the excitement since it's my first time to look outside from the top floor of this mansion.

"Whoah. If only Mr. William can see this." I mumbled taking the view in. Lights from the skyscrapers in the city can be seen from here. Clear sky, cold wind and peaceful night. It didn't dawn on me that the mansion is located at the highest point of the wooded secluded area. It's like a secret place if you're hiding from the busy city life. I smiled at the thought of growing up in the city has made me too ignorant at things like this. White, cold flakes kissed my skin and I almost squealed when I looked up at the sky and realized it's indeed snowing. My favorite season. Winter. I stayed outside for almost half an hour and decided to go in before I will catch a cold. Closing the large door and made my way outside of his office but the door of his room is slightly opened so I decided to make us a tea first.

"Mr. Miller?"I called.

The door is open so I made my way inside and placed the tea on his table. I saw him lying on his couch, hands tucked underneath his head just like a baby sleeping. His face is so calm unlike what I saw the first month in this mansion. He is so relaxed probably from the comforting warmth of his couch. He is wearing a gray wool jacket and dark jeans with his socks on. He simply looked adorable.

I made my way to his room and got a blanket that was once folded neatly in his cabinet. I thought I could make use of this one more than the ones on his mattress. I slowly put the blanket on his body as he made noises and changed his position. I stood to turn around but he grabbed my wrist making me snap my head to him. He is still closing his eyes but he is smiling.

"Don't leave me yet."

I found myself sitting on the floor but he tugged my sleeves motioning me to sit beside him. My heart made an abnormal beating and I am fighting myself not to act like a teenage girl. I will admit, I am starting to like my boss. And I know it's wrong because it may fall to something, I am taking advantage of him. Am I right?

"You're warm." He mumbled. I can't hide my smile and I am sure that even in the darkness of his room, I can see myself through the reflection of his mirror that I am beet red out of embarrassment. There's something in him tonight. I am twenty-six for crying out loud and here he is sitting beside me saying I am warm and what do you think how I would react to that?

"Thank you?" that came like a question because I don't know what to say.

He chuckled and he positioned himself facing at me. I promise you I am sitting with my hands on my lap like a statue because I am afraid to move. "Look at me, Jessica."

He is staring at nowhere and releasing a breath, I sit Indian style in front of him. He is still smiling and a mischievous glint is making a way to his face. He then moved his hands to my face. I shivered by how his touch made in contact with my skin. His hands are cold. His thumb caressed my cheeks, his pointer finger is tucking an invisible hair behind my ear. He is still smiling and it's starting to freak me out.

"What are you doing?" My voice came to a whisper, confused as to why he is acting like this.

"Why are you whispering?" he whispered too and chuckled by our small antics. I am grateful for how things escalated between us. I blushed just by looking at him smiling. How I wished we could just stay like this. 

"I don't know." I am now smiling that we are now having a conversation whispering like idiots.

He then proceeds to stroke my eyebrows, my nose, my lashes, and then his thumb is caressing my lips like it's the most bizarre thing he ever touched. It's like he is memorizing every detail of my face.

"I am trying to draw your face in my imagination."

I didn't say anything. I stared at him shamelessly and I can't define what I am feeling right now.  My heart beats abnormally and there's rising affection that was once resting at the pit of my stomach. The urge to respond to his touch.

But I was tested by my own perception when he pulled my face forward and crashed his lips to mine. Gentle yet assuring, warm yet chills covered my whole body and wet yet satisfying. My mind went blank for a couple of seconds but my body responded on its own accord. He pulled me even closer anchoring his warm palm on my neck as he deepened the kiss. Lungs burning out of desire making us gasp for breath. The room grew hotter and my mind spins as he loosened his grasp and connected our forehead. We don't have to anything. It would take an ordinary set of minds to understand what just happened.

"What--"

"Shhh... I'll sleep now." he smiled and tucked himself with his blanket once more.

"What the heck was that?'" I mumbled touching my lips. I want to squeal like a seal but I have to at least sound hard to get, right?

"We kissed, Ms. Jessica. You just violated the rules of employer-employee relations." Humor is evident in his words and he is just clearly messing up with me.

"What? No! You kissed me--"

"And you enjoyed it."

"What-- Okay, I'm done here." I raised my hands in surrender and turned to leave but he caught my wrist stopping me.

"Wait,"

"Just let me sleep first." He murmured dipping himself unto the soft cushion of his couch.

"Aren't you going to sleep in your bed?"

"I want it here. The bed is too large for me. I feel so alone in that bed." He simply answered raising the blanket up to his chin.

"Okay, I'll stay until you'll fall asleep."

Crickets sang as the night deepened. I sat there watching him fall into a deep sleep. I slowly made my way to his overly large balcony and stared up at the sky. Countless stars enveloped the dark night sky and white specks covered the ground like ashes. My heart bursts into happiness. I feel happy. I am happy. Happy yet uncertain about what comes next.

*******************************************************************************************