CHAPTER XXIII

"You're reading a book?" Honoree finds it unusual for Naoki to read anything. Whether it's her academic books, magazines that feature her parents, newspaper or movie subtitles. She has a personal maid to read aloud for her.

Naoki lifts her face her to glance at Honoree. "That's cruel of you Hono-chan!"

Honoree laughs at her. "What is it? Tell me." She moves closer to read the title above the page text. "From Your Love Guru? That sucks! You're interested in love stuff now?"

"My mother says that if I want Dori-sempai to notice me, I should know one or three things about how this love stuff works and I can't ask my maid to read this book for me." She turned away and goes back to continue reading.

"And so far what have you learned about that topic?"

Ayame ran back to the bench and drink from her water jug. She waves a hand to Honoree and Naoki. Honoree raises high her handmade slogan which reads DO YOUR BEST AYAME! while Naoki reached for her digital camera and took a shot of Ayame walking back to the court.

"Not much, the love guru says that you will never know how far you've fallen for a true love unless you get yourself willing to be torn apart."

Honoree let her hands down and bends her knees closer to her chest. She remembers the seventy mathematical equations she just finished solving and the remaining thirty items she's supposed to accomplish. But the equations bored her. "Well, who on earth will be willing to get themselves be torn apart?"

It was Naoki's turn to laugh at her. "That's exactly the same words Ayame said to me two days ago, after she read this book. You both have the same mindset when it comes to love, Hono-chan."

They saw Akira at the other side of the court. He's walking with his girlfriend and some of their friends following behind. He waves a hand when he spotted Honoree and Naoki sitting on the grass. His eyes shifted to Ayame playing tennis below.

"But Ayame-chan's currently dating a senior from Class C, isn't she?"

"Yeah, but she still thinks love is illogical." Naoki concluded.

It sure is illogical, Honoree thought. What she told Yuuji is what her mind keeps telling to her. In every equation or problem, there is a solution, there's a forula to use, and when she use the proper technique, it will give her of the right answer. As far as Honoree is concern, there's always the right answer. The right answer satisfies her.

But why is it that when it comes to her decision to do the right thing for Yuuji doesn't make her feel like she got the right answer? Why does she felt like she's being torn into pieces? It feels like there's an arrow shot directly at her, tearing her apart, making every breath she take painful.

"I can't breathe." Honoree unconsciously said what she's thinking. She tried to pull back the words. "I mean---"

But Yuuji hushed her. "Don't speak, I can't breathe either." He grabbed Honoree by the arm and hurled her down from the pine tree, gently letting her feet touched back to the ground. "It's late, go back to the mansion and sleep. I don't want to see you or talk to you unless I summon for you." he said coldly and vanished from Honoree's sight in the blink of an eye.

Yuuji's reaction was different from what Honoree expected. She braces herself for his anger, a deity's anger to what she requested. None of these problems will occur if it's not for her doing in the first place and yet, she's the one insisting that Yuuji allows her to go home. She lifted her hand and glanced at the tattoo on her ring finger. If Katsumi's plan works, it will vanish tomorrow, if not she will lose her memories of the kingdom and of every kitsune spirit she met but either way will send her home.

Honoree closed her eyes and tried to remember Katsumi's words earlier.

"Here's my plan Hono-chan." she began. "I know a kitsune spirit that can transfer that tattoo on you to me. All you have to do is hold my hand during the process and visualize the place you want to go. In your case, it will be with your grandfather, right?"

Honoree forced herself to nod. Katsumi saw how her face had drained of blood and she feared she might faint.

"But Hono-chan, when you live like me for about seven hundred long years, you will realize that nothing in this world ever comes without a price. As for that part, Yuuji will forget everything about you when the ring takes off. He will not remember that someone like you even existed. If the transfer doesn't work because of your failure to visualize your grandfather's place, you will lose your memories about him but the bond between you will be lifted and Yuuji-sama himself will bring you home. Both sounds good Hono-chan and I know you will do the right thing."

Honoree clenched her hands over her chest and with all her might stopped the hesitation from building up inside her. She convinces herself that Katsumi's plan is for the good of everyone and she needs to be responsible for her mistakes.

She walked back to the mansion, keeping her head down. It's been a long day and she starts getting aware that her legs are aching and her left hand pulsing. She didn't find Yuuji back at the bedroom. Instead it was Toshi that welcomes her back. He gave her a half smile while leaning at the balcony抯 door, suggesting that he knows how she hide herself from the party.

"We were waiting to see you wearing the kimono we provided Hono-chan."

"I.. I apologize Toshi-san." Honoree climbs on the bed.

"You sure you can go to sleep with that hand of yours?" Toshi sits beside her and grabbed her left hand. He holds it with both of his hands and closed his eyes. Honoree felt her hand slowly getting warm before it gets icy cold. She doesn't understand it but she knew her hand stops pulsating.

When he let go, he took off the handkerchief and bandage covering her hand. The swelling from the burn lessen and the cuts from the arrows closed. Honoree examines it in utter amazement.

"I don't know what's going on Hono-chan, but I trust it that you know what you're going to do." Toshi said. "It doesn't mean that because it's the right thing for you it's the right thing for us too." He stood up and closes the door behind him, leaving Honoree puzzled with his words.

"Sooner or later, I will do what I must do," she whispered.