Chapter 11: Always One Step Ahead

"Jennette?"

Both of us turned around when someone called her name. There was a maid approaching us; probably her chaperone for the day. I took a step back and tried to maintain composure. This.. this girl was the key to Athanasia's death in the original story, aka my fate.

I laughed nervously. "Haha. Don't mention it, miss." Of course I need to pretend I don't know her. I'm in the village as Tia Adams, not the princess. Jennette can't recognize me here as Athanasia. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"No, no. You saved me before he even touched me."

I then looked at her again. But now, her blue orbs turned to another color. I raised an eyebrow. "Your eyes? I swear they were blue earlier?"

She gasped, her face full of worry. "Ah... I shouldn't tell you this but you are my savior so..." Jennette looked at me with a smile and leaned in on my ear. "I'm actually the secret princess of the Empire."

I don't know if she was bragging, but with that tone? It did sound like it. Ha. Pathetic.

I just jumped, pretending to be shocked. "R-really?!" I covered my mouth, for her to see my amazement. And you know what she did? She just laughed.

"Yes. In fact, the festival is for me. I'm Empress Victoria's prophecy!" She placed a hand on her chest, confident as ever.

I wanted to roll my eyes. Last time I checked, Jennette's birthday wasn't the same as Athanasia. I don't even remember her having a festival. But of course I don't need to show that.

Her maid then interrupted our conversation. I did a little 'bow' to show respect for the so-called Princess. I watched her walk to her carriage, her brown hair cascading until her hips. The maid opened the door for her. But before she could enter, she turned to me.

"When will I see you again, my savior?"

I flinched at the nickname. I just gave her a smile. "At the hunting season, miss."

She seems surprised. "Oh? Then, let's have tea while we wait for the men to hunt." Dumbass. I'll be hunting, too. Before she could say even more, the maid gestured her to get inside.

"I'd love to talk but I need to go." Jennette stepped inside the carriage and added, "Until we meet again!" I waved goodbye to her, my face masked with a fake smile.

On the outside, I looked calm. But on the inside? I was losing my shit. I just met the true protagonist of the story— the true heroine. Fuck, fuck fuck. I bit my nails, not giving a damn if I was out in the public. I just saved her from that criminal! That was such a dumb move. I should've let him beaten her up and—

No. I shouldn't wish for that. That'll make me bad as her. But still... I somewhat did regret doing it.

As far as I knew, Jennette and Athanasia weren't supposed to meet until the Debutante Ball, which was a year from now. But now? We met a year too early. Did that also mean that I was gonna die a year earlier too?

I can't die. I haven't met my prince charming!

And shhh, I know Athanasia didn't have a male lead on the original novel too. She died a bit too young to even get one. But I was determined to change that. I'll marry a handsome prince and make him Emperor. I'll still be the one governing the Empire as Empress though.

Anyway, I need to think of a plan. A plan for Jennette not to mess up the hunting season. I know she'll do something during the event. I just know it.

Oh my god. What if Duke Alpheus reveals Jennette to Claude at that time?

"Princess?"

I practically jumped when I heard the nickname. I then turned around, seeing that it was just Vivienne. "I told you to call me Tia!" I whispered to her a bit aggressively.

She got rid of the nail that I was biting. "I know. But are you okay? I saw what happened earlier and you seem to be deep in thought."

I lightly shook my head. "I'm fine. Where's Nicolai?"

Vivienne then started walking with me side by side. "I ordered him to take the guy to the dungeons. Do you wish for Nicolai to interrogate him?"

I sighed in relief. Vivienne is literally my savior. "Yes, let Nicolai ask the guy everything about that damn Hawks Organization."

She nodded. "Of course. I will also conduct a thorough investigation and research with the said case."