Chapter 30: What If I Leave?

"My daughter, doctor!" a voice screamed, ringing to Athanasia's ears forcefully. "How is she? Any progress about her wellbeing?"

Athanasia's eyes were closed shut. She wanted to open it, but there was a blinding light shielding her from doing so. She could hear murmurs surrounding her; each and every second getting louder and louder. It was irritating.

"Miss, it's been weeks since she last woke up," a man replied bluntly. "She is under severe comatose."

She heard a foot stomp, and a few steps walking away. Athanasia heard the door slam shut, and she assumed that she was all alone. Comatose? What the hell?

Suddenly, she felt a sharp pain on her wrist. Athanasia wanted to move her hand, but she was numb. She couldn't even open her eyes, what more can she move? It seems like she was only breathing, not living. She was holding on to a loose thread that can break anytime now.

"You stupid child," the voice from earlier said. It belonged to a woman. "I should have never brought you here. Stupid publicity manager."

Athanasia's heart skipped a beat. Never would she have thought that she'd hear that voice again. She hated that voice. And it made her tremble in fear. Because it belonged to none other than the woman she despised.

The voice belonged to her mother back in the real world. H-how was that possible? Was she dreaming? Fuck.

She held her breath, closing her eyes deeply. No way in hell was this real. She was supposed to be stuck in the Lovely Princess, not here. She was Athanasia--- the prophecy behind Victoria's legacy.

Her mother kept rambling on and on, the memories slowly rewinding. Rewinding to all the times that she'd get scolded. That she'd get neglected. To all those painful times, Athanasia hated with a burning passion.

"I should have left you there to die--"

"NO!"

Athanasia's eyes snapped open, instantly seated on her bed. She looked by her window, seeing that it was in the middle of the night. She sighed to herself, and took a long look at the necklace she was wearing.

Thank god it was a dream, she thought. But her nervousness or anxiety never left. It was still there, the familiar feeling that she knew all too well.

Anyway, she decided that it'd be better to put the necklace on all day and night, so that she can communicate to Victoria. She hoped, perhaps, that Victoria would send her a message. A symbol, a letter, a whisper, anything.

But, so far, throughout the day, Victoria never talked to her. It was odd. The day passed normally. Like nothing ever happened.

That was, until this.... Nightmare appeared.

She held the necklace close, her heart still beating fast. Never once has she had a dream like that. This was a first for her.

Did it mean something? Was Victoria trying to imply something? Was it a symbolism? Or was it supposed to be taken literally? Worse, maybe Victoria knows that she was from another world.

A flood of thoughts went through her mind. She may not know the exact meaning of the dream, but one thing was certain. Victoria was trying to tell her something. Something that only Athanasia could understand.

Athanasia bit her lip, clutching her blanket close.

What if Victoria wants me to go back to my true world?

---------------

Athanasia didn't get any sleep at all that night. She kept thinking about the dream. What if she was right? What if Victoria did want her back? What if she stayed longer, she'd be like Pandora?