Chapter 42: Rosalia Likes Jasmine Tea

The Palace wasn't particularly gloomy. No, not at all. The sun shone brightly in all of the corners of the said place. Even the chirping of the birds could be heard, as if it was part of a Fairy Tale story. Anyone and everyone could be convinced that everything was perfectly fine. That is, until you notice the dark atmosphere that surrounded the Emperor's room at the middle of it all.

There, we see Claude de Alger Obelia, the beloved Emperor, lying down on his large king-sized bed with nothing but pillows surrounding him. For the past few days, or rather weeks, his health wasn't the best at all. He tried using his mana with it, but it didn't work. Perhaps it was the flu? Or maybe food poison?

Sigh. It didn't matter much. He just needed to get better in order to resume his duties to the Emperor.

And he needed to resume to his duties as a father too. Claude ordered for everyone in the Palace not to go to his room, even Athanasia herself. The last thing that he wanted was his daughter catching whatever disease he had. (was it even a disease? he wasn't quite sure)

Despite this, Athanasia tried several attempts to sneak into her father's room to check up on him. Which she failed on all attempts. But still, Claude appreciated the effort. It was comforting to know that Athanasia cared for him, to say the least.

"Your Majesty, may I come in?"

There was a faint knock on the door. Claude's eyes shot open as he cleared his throat. He recognized the voice a bit too quickly, it was no other but Felix Robane, his most trusted knight and the man he considered his brother.

The Emperor replied quietly but enough for the knight to hear. Felix entered the room with a scroll at hand. His posture was a bit off; as if he was trembling due to nervousness. Even the way Felix held the scroll was suspicious. What could the knight be hiding from him?

Claude cleared his throat, a bit unsure as to why Felix was acting the way he is. "Is there something urgent you need to discuss, Felix?"

The other man did nothing but gulp and approach Claude slowly, handing in the scroll. "The results of your check-up from the Royal Doctor just came in, Your Majesty.."

He didn't bother replying. He was just relieved that the results finally came. He needed to know where this son-of-a-bitch disease came from and why it appeared all of a sudden. That's why he opened the letter slowly, wanting to make sure that it was real and from a certified doctor.

However, before Claude could even read the first words, Felix suddenly interrupted him.

"P-pardon the intrusion but, do you not remember anything at all when you fainted during the Hunting Season? Or rather, anyone coming into your room?"

Claude wanted to roll his eyes. He folded the paper again and faced Felix with a glare. "That was months ago, Felix. If someone were to poison me, they'd make sure that I'd be dead in a ditch."

"That doesn't really answer the question, Your Majesty..." Felix lowered his voice, forcing himself to look away from Claude because he knew damn well that answering back would bring him death.

Now, Felix was getting on his nerves. But Claude couldn't do anything, could he? This man was the king of pestering him all his life.

"I don't recall someone getting into my room. Does that answer your question?"

"I... uhm, yeah. But I actually have one last question, actually."

Felix was the only one who has already read Claude's results since Claude already ordered him to do so. But knowing his medical result was different from knowing why it came out like that. Felix is certain that it all had something to do back in the Hunting Season.