Chapter 31: The Nova Bliss

Pixie pulled the hood of her jacket more snuggly around her face, as she crept toward the inlet of the Obsidian River.  She tried to imagine what the place looked like a hundred years ago. Bustling and busy, with ships coming and going with goods and merchandise, the light of the boat's lanterns like stars reflecting across dark glassy water. She imagined more lanterns along the shore line that would light up the port for ships to be unloaded of their wares and merchandise.  She could imagine the smells and sounds, as spell caters and all manner of super nats traded and showed off their wealth and their special abilities. 

What lay before her now, was the exact opposite of a thriving port. There were very few lanterns lit and if not for her light stone, she would have had a difficult time seeing where she was going. There were the skeletons of a few boats along the shore. She passed by a boat shed that appeared to have had little use in many years. On the other side were a few dilapidated buildings. From what Pixie could see, only one dock appeared to still be in use. 

"You seem a little out of place?" A gravely voice said, making Pixie jump. She turned to see a man with a pointy chin and white unruly hair standing there. She was stunned into momentary silence. The man had seemed to appear out of nowhere.

"Interesting light you have there. That'd come in handy in these parts. We used to have lights similar years ago, but now all we have are cheap old flashlights and gas lanterns. Batteries only last so long and gas lanterns have a habit of burning out "  The man commented revealing a small lisp as he spoke. "That looks like some kind of magic making that rock around your neck glow."

Pixie instinctively backed up a foot or two. She had no idea who this man was and if he meant her any harm. "The light will dim as the magic begins to fade, but I have ways to keep it glowing."

The unknown man leaned in closer, as if to see her light stone close up. "Umm, you say you used to have lights like mine? How come you don't now?" Pixie asked, hoping if she could keep the man talking as she continued to move slowly away from him she could make a run for it if she needed to.

"Not many of your kind use these waters anymore." The man answered.
"My kind?" Pixie asked, wondering what her kind he was referring to.
"You know, the magic types. What are people calling them these days, spel..spell casters. Are you one of those?" He asked curiously.

"I'll tell you what. How about we make a deal. I'll tell you about my light stone and how it works and in return you answer a few questions I have." Pixie offered. The man rubbed his chin for a moment and the nodded with a grin revealing a large gap between his front teeth. "Alright."

"Do you know of any ships that carry passengers? You see my friends and I need to find passage on a boat." Pixie inquired.

"Why on Earth would you want to float the Obsidian, there's much better ways to travel on the surface. Mostly smugglers and desperate types use these waters, and it ain't never people that are being transported." The man said suspiscously.

"I guess you could say, I'm one of those desperate types." Pixie admitted. The man was looking at her like she was out of her mind.

"Please, excuse my manners, My name is Pixie. If you could tell me how to aquire passage on a ship that would take me and my friends down river ten miles or so. You see, I'm bit of a historian and I'm doing some research on the glory days of trade along this underground river. It would really help with my research to actually experience being on the river first hand." Pixie said as an explanation. She didn't know if the man bought her story, but he seemed to be considering it.

"Alright, Pixie the historian. I'm Griff and the only question I've got for ya is, what's in it for me?" He finally said.

Pixie thought for a moment and then an idea struck her. "How about a trade? If you can find me find passage on a boat, I'll give you a light stone like what I have here."