Chapter 36: Tied Up And Bound

As Zephora regained consciousness, memories of what happened slowly returned to her. Where was she?

As she grew more alert to her surroundings, she could hear voices close by. They were familiar too her. Rafi. One voice belonged to Rafi. The other made her skin crawl and her stomach churn. Micklaus. He wanted to drink her blood. Would Rafi really let him? She could still remember, even after all these years, what it felt like when Micklaus' fangs had pierced through her skin and drank her blood nearly killing her. The pain was almost unbearable.

Not wanting them to know she was awake, Zephora lay where she was with her eyes closed. She desperately wanted to peek and see where they had taken her. But if they caught her awake, what would they do to her? Instead, she lay there and just listened.

"I thought Victor would have come back by now. It shouldn't have taken him this long to find Amelie." Rafi said impatiently.

"If I recall, it took you days to hunt her down. But I admit, I am also starting to have doubts. I will contact Victor and find out his status through a mind link." Micklaus replied. Then there was silence for a moment or two. "Victor is with Severo and they are closing in on Amelie. See? Nothing to worry about." Micklaus informed Rafi.

"Severo? How did he become involved in all of this?" Rafi questioned, surprise filling his voice.

"He came to me when Draedyn no longer had a stomach for politics and left the Vampire Council. Severo thought he had gone soft. I convinced him to remain with Draedyn and when the time was right he would be in the perfect position to further our cause." Micklaus said pleased with himself. "How fortuitous my decision was. When Draedyn took Amelie in, I was able to keep tabs on her until the time was right.  I then instructed Severo to get rid of Amelie, but make it look like moon howlers were responsible." Micklaus sneered, then said. "Everything would have gone as planned too, if it were not for this meddlesome human you have brought here. At first, I was angry with you, but now I see you have more vision than I gave you credit for."

"How come you had me look for Amelie if Severo was already tasked with the eliminating her?" Rafi asked in confusion.

"After his failure to see the job done, I had to get to Amelie another way, without making a connection between me and Severo. That was where you came in. I know you are not happy about being kept in the dark, but I had no choice at the time. You have since then proven your loyalty. For that I will reward you."

"What is my reward exactly?" Rafi asked.

"I will let you be a part of my vision. A world as you have never dreamed and you will be like a king just as I." Micklaus said enthusiastically.

I don't know what to say Micklaus, I am most grateful for your consideration. From a vampire of your reputation that means a lot." Rafi flattered Micklaus. Then he continued. "There must be a very serious reason for you to want Amelie dead. What is the threat Amelie holds?"

Micklaus sighed. "I suppose you have the right to know. You see, before Amelie was turned, she was one of my, we'll say pets. Unfortunately, she was always headstrong. I didn't mind that much at the time, the sport of it and all. I was sure eventually she would come to see the truth of what a humans purpose was. Eventually she would submit. I perhaps underestimated her willfulness."

There was a moment where Micklaus paused, as he recalled past events. Zephora found it almost impossible to stay still. What had Micklaus done to Amelie? He must have been cruel. She had only endured his cruelty one night of her life, she couldn't imagine having to endure it continuously.

He continued, "To make a long story short, Amelie came upon some information that in the wrong hands would have destroyed everything that I have worked for. She should never have survived, but somehow she got a hold of a vial of my blood. I'm sure she had help.  I keep vials of my blood for experiments locked up securely.
I didn't realize she had used my blood to turn herself, until Severo informed me that Draedyn had taken her in and that she had no recollection of her life  as a human. Over the years Severo has reported to me about Amelie. Recently she's been starting to remember things. Now you see how crucial it is, she never has the chance to remember fully."