32. a slight turn of events

G A Y L E

I'M GETTING pretty damn tired of Ariel trying to boss me around all the time.

I get it, she's the queen of Narnia or whatever but honestly... she is not the boss of me.

She told me to stay in my room while she whisked Apollo away to the aid of those three goddesses who collapsed at the door.

I happened to hear that one of the goddesses who have arrived is Psyche, and I happen to know that she's the goddess of souls, and possibly the only person who can help with my little princess problem.

So without wasting any time, I slip some comfortable clothes on and I'm on my way to locate the three goddesses and Apollo.

Hopefully he isn't with Ariel...

I shake my head, trying to remove that toxic thought from my mind. It has to have been Cyrene who thought that, not me, because Apollo and I are just friends... and once Psyche has removed her soul from my body, they can be together and I can finally take a nap without having to worry about slipping into a coma.

Just how nature intended.

It takes me a moment to find my footing, and a few doors leading to strange destinations, but finally thirty minutes later I hear a strange voice behind a giant mahogany door in the west wing of the palace.

The closer I get, the larger an unsettled feeling begins to bloom in my chest at the lone indistinct voice and the darkening halls as I tread forward.

Black walls paint a horrid picture of solitude as I traipse on.

The door ahead of me is almost completely deteriorated, it looks to me like it could probably be the oldest thing in this palace.

As much as the hollow feeling in my chest urges me to step away from the door and leave, the silent, indistinct murmuring from behind the door urges me forward.

It's like a magnetic pull forcing me to gravitate towards the door.

Unwittingly, my fingers grab onto the giant metal knocker and I pull the door open to reveal what looks like a prison.

There are bountiful cells, leading all the way for miles, dark metal walls and bars are the theme for this place.

Even though I'm not a prisoner or anything, I can't help the erratic beating of my heart at the thought of being locked up in here.

Terrible dreary thoughts begin to overflow in my brain, bringing me down, forcing me to relive every terrible moment in my life, every bad thing that has ever happened to me is on repeat, like I'm watching a movie about all my misfortune in my mind.

I glance down, and tears drop to where I look. I realise that somehow I've fallen to my knees, it's getting harder to breath as tears stream down my plump cheeks.

I have no idea what is going on but I hate this feeling, I'd do anything for it to just, for a moment just stop so I can breathe.