Chapter - 2

I picked my 'reward' up

I picked my 'reward' up. It was dusty and glitzy, all at the same time. It was a book and it's title read: 'The Soulmate Guide'. I opened the book with fear written large on my face but also excitement buried deep inside the very chambers of my heart. ' This guide belongs to BLAKE ANDERSON.' I gently flipped through the pages of the book, my heart beating and thumping faster with every turning page. The font of the book was calligraphic and it was beautifully binded in a blood red velvet cover which looked ancient. There were long chapters in the guide, which did not make any sense to me. The chapters showed pictures of dream catchers, the moon, the stars, the constellations and planets, as if it was trying to predict my future, as if it was trying to show me a path to something... TRUE LOVE?

I got it! Now everything made sense. So it was real. It was actually a soulmate guide which was supposed to help me find the love of my life. I made my way down the stairs, all engrossed in the charm of the book and how it worked when I heard my mom sobbing. I quickly stuffed the charm guide haphazardly in my school bag and ran to check what had happened. I tried to peep through the half closed door of my mom's room. She was crying and blaming her life. She was in a terribly drunken state and her thin body frame was not even in her control.

I immediately rushed in, helped her out and made her sit on the couch. Then I started making my way out of the room when all of a sudden, she held my hand.

"I know I am a terrible mother. I am sorry Blake. I am never able to give you time."

I shushed her. "It is okay mom. Not everyone is perfect. You have looked after me all this time, haven't you? You need not feel bad about anything."

"Thank you son," she whispered with a smile.

I gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead, bid her goodnight and left the room. This scenario was not very usual in this house. I am kind of shy and inexpressive and I am open to very few people who I find trustworthy.

It was only last year that I became less expressive than I ever was and decided to spend time with only a few valuable people in my life. Till last year, my ex- girlfriend, Jennifer Stone was my only priority. I loved her more than anything in this world. She, her smile, everything about her was magical. But she ditched me. She broke my heart. And I lost faith in true love, a bit maybe. I felt extremely fatigued at that moment and the thoughts about Jennifer somewhat didn't do justice to my half-open, sleepy eyes when all of a sudden, my vision faded to black.

I could hear birds chirping. Oh! I didn't realise that I had fallen asleep on the couch in the lounge last night and it was early morning now. Well, a new day. A new beginning. It had almost been a week in the new class. And yes, I wasn't a junior anymore. I was a senior now. A twelfth grader who is mature enough to take better decisions. I looked into the mirror. My dark brown hair strands were almost covering my dark blue ocean eyes. I settled my hair with my bare hands, put on a dark grey GAP hoodie, slipped into my plain white sneakers, and drove to my school.

Amethyst High is one of the best schools in NYC, a school with a very high academic record every year. Almost every new session, atleast five-ten selected students with a special caliber who are otherwise not studying in very renowed schools are transferred here for better academic success and overall development. I entered the school, walking through the Principal's lobby and made my way to the auditorium for the morning assembly. The crowd infront of me hindered the view but I could make out that the headmistress was introducing five new students who are admitted to the school this year.
"Ladies and gentlemen, we introduce your new friends. Be nice to them."
1. Rachel Hanks from Central NY academy.
2.Madison David from Gabriella Instution of Education for Girls.
3.Leah Harlow from Grand Ridge Academy.
4. Nathan Gray from Wintervelle College.
5. Ronald Hutchins from SpringDale School.
(crowd applauses)
"It'll be fun to know them," Ethan chuckled.

Ethan Beckett is my boy buddy. He is famous all over the school for his chiseled jaw, fair skin and a broad chest, and then there are those little dimples on his cheeks when he smiles which make girls go gaga over him.

Ethan Beckett , James Brown, Fiona Jennings and I have been best friends since forever. We hangout together ALL THE TIME.

"Of course, yes." Fiona and James smirked and we all laughed. Then we headed to the first floor for my first period which was of Biology. Fiona left us as she went for her cheerleading practice every morning for an hour. We headed to the class to find three new students standing in the middle who had opted for biology. And to my surprise, all three were girls.

Boys suck at Biology I tell you!

Madison, Rachel and Leah. The names echoed.
"Blake." Mrs. Smith, our professor called out.
"Ughh not again," I murmured. These are the disadvantages of being the class topper. "Yes, Mrs. Smith," I answered unwillingly.

"Won't you show the new girl, Leah Harlow, your school?"

"Sure. Why not?" I said, being visibly sarcastic.

Then Mrs. Smith turned to Ethan and Jeremy.
"Ethan, you will help out Rachel."
"Fine," Ethan replied unbothered.
"And Jeremy will help Madison."
"Okay Mrs. Smith," Jeremy replied.
The class went by smoothly.

After it was over, Fiona stood at the door waiting for us. "Blake you look dashing man," Ethan and James teased Fiona. She played with her blonde hair strands and looked down, struggling to speak. I can never understand girls! One moment they are all friendly and follow bro codes and the other moment, their cheeks turn warm and red for stupid reasons. "Let's go or we will be late for our next class," I broke the awkward silence.
_________