Chapter 2: Remnants

Arvena brushed her gold streaked brown hair over her shoulder as the wind blew it past her face, obscuring her vision. She neared the palace, where surely all the royal family of Terrasen was running about.

She tried not to think too much into it. 

Especially with the image of golden hair and pine green eyes.

Aryna was going to be there.

It's been an age since they last saw each other since Arvena had experienced her ocassional lilting laughter, her calm demeanor. Sighing, she glanced around the city of witches and humans, the marble buildings blinding bright in the snow, if the queen was here, she'd fit right in, perhaps her Eyvin too, especially with their white hair.

Something behind her shifted as she took a shortcut.

She froze momentarily, turning.

There was nothing.

Snow on the ground, the tall buildings shielding the alley that seemed to be empty saved for her. But something in her gut tightened, squeezing and forcing her to watch and have her senses on high alert.

Something shot out from the shadows then. 

Arvena yelped as gray and black speckled hand latched onto her arm, immediately trying to shake it off before the rest of the being crawled out of the shadow. She froze.

A female human-or witch, she wasn't sure but the female's skin was sweaty yet so dry, covered with splotches of dark skin and pus. The female's limp blond hair was plastered to her head as her wide and fearful gray eyes lifted to hers. Gods, the pupils were dilated and black and milky surface coating random areas.

"Healer," the female gasped, seeing the uniform Arvena was wearing that consisted of a pale blue dress and a white cape ", Help."

Internally, Arvena went numb. But her training from her school and mother both drilled into her as she kneeled down in the freezing snow as she checked the female's inner workings, probing with her magic.

Everything seemed fine, her bloodwork was okay, her heartrate too, then what was wrong? She continued to probe the female's organs, eventually moving up to her neck and up into her head. 

What she saw made her blood run cold.

Something, not even a being, more of a shadow that clouded the female's head.

Arvena grimaced as it burned her magic the closer she went into it. It fought, it fought like hell, she felt the female's body act up in kicks and swings of limbs but she held the female down, grabbing on to that shadow, its form like liquid.

So like water, she opened an area where it could escape.

Then she pushed it out. With all her might.

It leaked out into the night.

The female slumped, some color returning to her face. Arvena frowned as the female went unconscious. Not wanting to leave her in the snow, she carried the female all the way back to the palace.

-

Aeson gasped as she saw his sister carrying a female into the tower they always used whenever they were her and not in Anielle. Yrene, his mother, didn't ask questions only went to help lay the female on their couch.

Yrene narrowed her eyes at her daughter.

Arvena shrugged ", She had this...disease, never saw it before, I healed her, and I didn't want to leave her in the snow."

"Aeson, go play with Cyrus, I need to talk with your sister about something."

Aeson ran.

"What is it?" Arvena said bluntly, resting a hand against her hip.

"Show me the illness you speak of," Yrene said, her gold-brown eyes clear.

Arvena sighed sarcastically, throwing her hands in front of her, palms up. Her mother grabbed it and started to probed through her memories, it was a simple trick that her mother had discovered years ago during whatever adventures she had back then.

Yrene gasped, dropping her hands.

She recovered quickly then said sternly ", Aryna is in the palace, go frolic, I need to talk with the adults."

Arvena gaped, but her mother already clasped a cape around her and had scurried out.

-

Sierra's mouth quirked as she watched the Galathynius kids run about, even as she entertained Sadie and Sylvia with her own gift. Her and Eyvin had been twins, meaning the chances of both of them ruling was equal, but her father's gift was only passed to her, Eyvin was more warrior, more social, whilst Sierra was expected to rule.

So she entertained the younger children by making the three elements of air, water, and fire jumped about each other, intertwining occasionally, making strange but abstract patterns. She felt someone sat down next to her on the red couch and immediately looked up.

Laurel smiled sheepishly at her, his silver hair curling at the ends and nearly covering his face. "Hey, Sierra."

"Hello Laurs, how're things going?"

"It's okay," said the prince of Terrasen ", Everything's so boring back home. Aryna's in her moody teenage years. Sylvia and Cyrus are too loud and nosy. I just want a change."

"What sort of change?"

"Maybe someone to hang out with," Laurel added, trying to sound smooth, even if the pink of his ears proved otherwise.

Sierra's smile was soft yet brilliantly bright, the sapphire in her eyes glowing. Gods, Laurel was in deep shit. "Rayne is coming with me and Eyvin to pick our mounts tomorrow, wanna come?"

Something in him turned when he heard Rayne was coming but he quickly and hastily replied ", Of course.

-

i was bored

have another update