Chapter 3: Leave it to the adults

"This shadow thing," Aelin said, sitting poshly in her chair, a glass of champagne wrapped with her slender Fae fingers ", You sure it's a remnant of a Valg?"

Yrene nodded, her golden brown hair shifting, the locks having gained thickness and weight after the years ", I know it. I healed many a soldier enough to grow used to the Valg presence, I'm sure you killed enough to know."

"And how are you so sure?" Manon challenged ", This is your daughter's memory, not yours, it could easily be something else more diluted than the Valg."

Yrene only shook her head ", I destroyed Erawan, his physical form was burnt to a husk, but there was a sliver that promised vengeance, all he needs is a form."

"A host," Elide murmured, earning nods all around, the Lady of Perranth's eyes widened ", He could take hold of anyone."

The room went silent, the air turning cold and icy, though neither Rowan nor Dorian had anything to do with it. The atmosphere went absolutely thick, yet they all sat in the suspense, waiting for just a single person to speak up.

"What can we do?" Lysandra said softly, shaking her dark-haired head.

"The ring of Athril," Dorian started ", Is it possible to duplicate it?"

"It was blessed by a god," Rowan said, eyes sliding to his queen as he said ", We know what happened to them."

"You're missing the big question," Aedion piped ", How do we destroy this sliver of Erawan?"

"Well, we can't exactly slip a ring onto a shadow," Aelin said sarcastically.

"Burn it," Manon said bluntly, taking a sip of champagne.

Dorian opened his mouth to argue with her, his lips parting, then promptly closed when he released it was no ordinary shadow and that if the rest of Erawan could be burned then it can to. Manon smirked when no one objected.

"How are we going to find it?" Arvena said, leaning on the doorway, her golden-brown hair, identical to that of Yrene's, resting over her shoulder as her bronze eyes watched them. 

"There is no we," Chaol said sternly ", This is our problem, Arvena, go back."

"Then who is 'our'?" Arvena challenged.

"The adults."

"I'm twenty goddamn years old. I am an adult."

"Not with that attitude," Yrene said, standing up. Everyone but Arvena's parents took a dainty sip from their drink, eyes of every color watching the ordeal play out.

Arvena hissed, her crossed arms falling to her sides, as she said ", You'll have to involve us eventually, you can't shield us forever."

They knew that Arvena wasn't only talking about her and Aeson as the young healer stormed out.

-

Arvena stormed through the hallways, fuming, the shining walls a blur of white and colorful undertones as her legs carried her. She didn't notice when another figure joined her, a figure with thick, curling golden hair.

She paused, stumbling as she glanced sideways, meeting eyes of pine green.

"Hello, Arvena," Aryna murmured quietly, joining her on her walk. "Where are you going?"

Arvena grimaced ", Seriously? I haven't seen you in ages, that's all you have to say?"

The Princess of Terrasen slid her green eyes towards her, her voice confident but gentle as she asked boldly ", What do you want me to say, Arvena?"

Arvena went silent, their steps slowing as they reached a more desolated corridor, leading out to the garden and the adjacent tower where the Westfall stayed during visits. She turned towards Aryna, the young princess, whom she had not seen for months on end, who she wrote to as often as duty would allow, standing right next to her.

Aryna's eyes widened as Arvena suddenly gripped her slender shoulders, shoving her against her walls, as the healer buried her face in the crook of a princess's neck, golden hair tickling her golden cheek.

A small smile formed on the princess's lips ", You really can't handle yourself around me."

"Shut up, Aryna," was Arvena's muffled reply.

A lilting laugh was all that could be heard as Arvena smile-pouted.

-

Cayden was bored to hell.

Laurel was busy making eyes at Sierra when the princess clearly had eyes on the young lady of Perranth, who was also making eyes at the former if he might add. Cyrus was reading, the little beast tamed for the moment. Sylvia was playing a game of hide and seek with his younger sister. His buddy Eyvin was busy frolicking with his 'secret' boyfriend in the city. Aryna had gone out the moment they saw Arvena walked past them.

Then in stormed the queen of witches and the king of Adarland themselves.

Sierra snapped up ", Mom? Dad?"

"Where is your brother?" Dorian said, breathless.

"Out in the city," said Sierra, brows furrowed ", Why?"

"Fuck this," cursed Manon before rushing out. Cayden followed them blindly, as did the other kids, coming out to a landing big enough for riders on the wind. The queen called out for her mount, Abraxos waking up from whatever perch he was on and was instantly there.

They didn't waste time as the two rulers flew off towards the city. Sierra called after them, they didn't look back. The young princess cursing under her breath, rushing towards the tsables to find a horse to follow them anyway.

Cayden made follow.

Well, at least he wasn't bored anymore?