Chapter 19: Let go

It was the same bar they had met in.

The first time he had spied that head of molten chocolate brown hair, those wide sky blue eyes.  The first time he had met Thomas, the boy still in street rags and old torn trousers until Eyvin had bought him new ones. 

They had decided to once more meet tonight, after a week of being apart, Thomas roaming the streets and sleeping in the room in which Eyvin had rented for him, while Eyvin had been plagued with princely duties of attending councils and dodging the ladies that chased him to be his date to the upcoming Yulemas Ball.

He spied his love entered the bar, earning stares and side-glances from the customers, though no one moved to touch Thomas, especially with the prince's protection over him. The boy's head turned left and right, looking.

Eyvin smirked, pushing himself off the wall and out of the shadow, stalking on near-silent immortal feet, coming up behind Thomas he leaned close to his ears, arms crossed behind him, and whispered ", Boo."

"I know you're there, Eyvin," Thomas said, turning around only to find nothing, not even a trace of the crowned prince, he jolted when he turned forward to see the prince leaning against the wall, smiling slightly.

Thomas rolled his eyes ", You shouldn't do that just because you can."

"But it's so fun," the crowned prince said, pouting.

Thomas smiled at the witch, hooking their arms together as they began to walk outside their meeting place, they had originally wanted to just talk, then deciding to go shopping together, Eyvin deciding that he'd finally introduce Thomas at the ball.

So they went around the city of witches and humans, the crowned prince greeting every familiar face, witch and mortal a-like waving back, with willing smiles and grins. They went through shops and shops, Eyvin constantly offering to buy Thomas some new gifts but he refused most of them except for a cashmere scarf that he now wore around his throat.

It was only when they were taking a shortcut towards the small but well-kept inn where Thomas was spending his time reading and simply doing the things that he would never be able to on the streets, did Eyvin simply stopped his tracks.

Thomas had gone on, not knowing the switch that had occurred within Eyvin's mind, the battle that soon came after. He turned back when he felt Eyvin's hand tug him backward. He raised a brow at the prince.

"Eyvin-"

Then quicker than an asp, a flash of steel, the crowned prince had one of his precious hunting blades pressed against Thomas, who was shoved against the wall of the alley. The boy gasped but stayed silent afterward, watching the colors of Eyvin's sapphire eyes flicker between deep blue and black.

"I want to tell you something," Thomas murmured, leaning close to the prince's ear despite the knife angled at him, he felt tremors go through the witch's body, the restraint from whatever he was fighting.

Thomas didn't know. All he knew was that it wasn't Eyvin.

"It's not your fault," he whispered before the knife was plunged.

-

Eyvin gasped, lunging forward in his bed, the sheets weighing him down towards what would have been an embarrassing fall into the mattress, face first. The prince tried to control his breathing, his chest moving rising and falling quickly,  a sharp feeling spiking his chest.

Closing his eyes, he tried to erase the image, the memory, that name. Chocolate brown hair and sky-blue eyes pierced his memory, rising atop the murky thoughts floating about. He tried desperately to shove it back down, and lock it away forever.

"Not real, not real, not real," he chanted, arms wrapped around his upraised knees, head tucked between the nook of both, forming a sort of ball.

He felt the lock to his bedroom clicked open slowly, he really couldn't care if someone would try to murder him right now and end it all. It should have ended when he fell from that aerie, he should have died for what he'd done.

For his willingness to continue to be a host for his selfish wish to bring him back.

"Eyvin?" A purring and gentle voice murmured.

He didn't answer, simply continued to rock himself back and forth on his back and feet, counting the movements to erase that cursed memory.

He felt the sheets and blankets shift as another weight was added onto the plush bedding. The person was close enough to radiate heat towards him in gentle waves, announcing their presence. There was a sudden movement, then it paused as if hesitating before finally going through. 

Maven's arms wrapped around Eyvin's curling form, shutting his eyes to avoid seeing anything that the prince wouldn't want. "I felt it," Maven said softly in the dark ", It lead me here."

The prince lifted his head from his arms, his ruffled white hair even more tousled and the sleepy young lord, whose head of dark hair was pressed straight on one side. A side sleeper then. "It...I think they're telling to let go," Eyvin said slowly, unsure of what he was saying. 

"Who's telling you?"

"I don't know," the witch said into the dark, tears falling from his depthless sapphire eyes, they shone in the dark ", I don't know anymore."

"I'll help you learn," Maven offered, his voice a whisper of wind between the uprise of a storm, so pronounced but it blended into the night, where he was clearly made from.

"I-I don't want to let go," Eyvin said, weeping silently ", I don't know who I'll be if I let go."

"You'll find yourself," the young Fae assured silently ", I'll be there if you'll allow me."

His silence was confirmation even as he whispered once more ", I don't want to let go."

-

look

Thomas is dead but like Maven is alive

and I can't tell which ship you like best for our boi